PDA

View Full Version : c20let running problems after conversion

jamie gsi16v
10-04-06, 03:28 PM
after buying a cali turbo 4x4 i recently did the engine conversion into my nova, after finishing went for the big turn on and everything seemed fine apart from a bad misfire at about 2500rpm when cold then moves too 5500rpm when warm, also the car will not idle when you come to a standstill or gear change etc and just wants to stall but if you keep it manually ticking over by pressing the foot pedal for around 30 seconds it will then idle at 1000rpm on its own, it is also running very rich and uses alot of fuel fast,
after fitting the engine i put new ngk plugs in, new genuine dizzy cap and rotor arm and it already has 8.5mm magnacor plug leads on, there is some fault codes as listed belo
21 throttle position sensor high voltage
51 ecu programmable memory programme error/hardware failiure
61 fuel tank vent valve low voltage
91 oxygen heat sensor high voltage
116 boost pressure above upper limit
to drive the car steady it seems fine and boosts up quiet well (max holds at 0.8 bar) but when reached a certain rpm it will pop and bang and missfire, it also has troubles starting and the idle problem too,
as far as i no the spec of the engine is around 280bhp as told by the previous owner it had all work done by courtenay sport including block bored out with oversize pistons, flowed coscast head, steel head gasket, courtenay re profiled cams, water injection (aquamist, not wired up yet) big front mounted intercooler with all pipework, k&n induction kit, phase 1 chips with switchable boost, the turbo unit is very very good with no signs of oil usage either on startup, warm or cold idle or under load, the fuel pressure is at 2.5 bar on idle and 3 bar on load, it does tend to throw some black smoke out on missfire and again uses far too much fuel and smells very rich too.
this is the first time i have ever had anything to do with turbos and im not too clued up on them really, i have done all the conversion myself and everything has gone quiet well, the conversion has been checked over by just novas and corsas before i took it home and started it up too find these problems,
any help and good explanation of problems will be great as i can then try and sort the problems myself instead of paying big garage bills cheers j

Adam
10-04-06, 03:30 PM
Good to hear the LETs fitted Jamie :)

Did it have the same problems in the donor car?
Or has it started doing it since the transplant into yours?

Stuart
10-04-06, 03:41 PM
make sure the crank sensor is ok. also chekc earths and supplies. then do 30 key cycles to try and clear the faults ( or leave unplugged for a couple of days)

Mark Beeson
10-04-06, 11:36 PM
Check all conections and clean them. Try all the basic stuff first. Make sure there are no air leaks.AFM cars hate them. If your running a dump valve make sure its a twin piston one or you'll have problems.

Good earths? Braided gearbox strap connected???