PDA

View Full Version : dials, got some small problems

chimp007_uk
09-04-06, 06:40 PM
i have a gte, and i have a few small probs with the dials...

the rev counter doesnt work
the oil pressure gauge doesnt work
the speedo flickers and bounces around

andy ideas??

chimp007_uk
12-04-06, 08:48 PM
anyone??? help???

Adam
13-04-06, 03:44 PM
Check the wiring to the rev and oil guages.
Wheres the speedo flicker? Anytime, or just when your going slowly.Mine does that just as the needle is about to start moving off the stop.

mikey14sr
13-04-06, 03:47 PM
I think ther's a voltage regulator attatched to the pcb on the back, that might have blown?

chimp007_uk
13-04-06, 07:18 PM
will check the wiring in the morning, it bounces quite a bit a low speeds. only took it for a tester round the block to check everything over before i take it for the mot. havent opened her up yet, so dont know what its like at hi speed.
if the voltage regulator has gone, is that something that can be replaced? and are there any easy ways of getting the speedo cable off the back of the dials? i always struggle.
cheers

Adam
13-04-06, 07:22 PM
Undo the cable from the gearbox end, and push it through the bulkhead to give you more slack at the dials end.

Probably best trying another set of clocks, then you'll know whether its the wiring or the clocks at fault.

My speedo is fine once the needle has moved completely off the stop, i think thats normal.

chimp007_uk
13-04-06, 08:51 PM
didn't think of doing it that way... how do i go about removing the gearbox end had a look this evening, doesnt look to obvious?!?

Adam
13-04-06, 11:53 PM
It just unscrews out the top of the gearbox.

mowgli
14-04-06, 08:29 AM
ok, I think I can help...If your car is a genuine gte, then it is wired up for the 6 dial dash to work. If you convert a base model to look like one, then the oil pressure sender will not be in place, and the rev counter will not be wired in.
there is (on my g reg one any way) all the wiring in place in the loom, they are usually taped up but in place, and with the help from a haynes book you should be able to sort it. to get the dash out you first push it in, then twist, then reach round the back and there is a clip to undo the speedo drive, then it all pulls out for maintenance.