PDA

View Full Version : TranX / gripper / ATB

Cr4iG
08-04-06, 07:40 PM
which, why, where, how much :)

will be for an F20, on a road car :)

was going to get an ATB, but speaking to me bro (aragorn) he seems to think they are somewhat unstable, and that i should get one of the other 2 listed?

so which is best, where can ya get em? rough prices?

they easy enough to fit?

cheers
craig

Stuart
08-04-06, 07:51 PM
atb if your lazy. and adapt to the driving style suited to the way it works...

Plate is my personal preference, but needs servicing etc for a road car might not be suitable if you do a lot of milage etc

maybe try to drive both (or atleast one) to see what they are like.

Cr4iG
08-04-06, 08:19 PM
how much servicing? its an everyday car, maybe pushing 15k a year

Stuart
08-04-06, 08:21 PM
i "think" its every 1000 rally miles that it needs a rebuild.. so thats gotta be ohhh 5-10K of road miles.. you'd have to talk to Tom at gripper for a definative answer.

johnny27
09-04-06, 12:21 PM
the plated diff is more for performance, the atb is like fast road, but could let you down in a fast corner where you need the diff to lock, its not aggressive enough for some ppl who like to fully perdict and know when the diff is about to lock. Personally if i had the cash for a lsd i'd go for the plated type. But this is just IMO, i'm sure there's plenty of ppl who prefere the ATB, its not crappy or nothing i suppose it just depends on your application, also it will not snap your hand on the steering wheel as some ppl say about plated diffs. I have had no experience of a ATB diff only a plated one,

Dan
09-04-06, 12:30 PM
when i first fitted my gripper i had a good happy medium setting on it for road and track use, with this done tom from gripper said it would need a check over every 3rd year or so to be safe. Obv with it now set right up i would prob have it looked at every 18mths to 2 yrs but thats with a limited usage it now gets

johnny27
09-04-06, 02:28 PM
does the atb not really lock both wheels? i've heard that when both wheels are off the ground it will only spin on one? i think it sorta works like opposite to a normal diff, it puts more power to the spinning wheel, instead of shifting to the wheel with traction, but maintains a little power to the to one wheel and more power to the wheel with no traction? does that make sense.