PDA

View Full Version : Lsd

luke langton
07-04-06, 01:53 PM
I have been thinking about fitting LSD to my nova, just wanted to know anybody who has done the same,how much of a difference has it made?
Any information welcome!

dhdev (Oli)
07-04-06, 02:09 PM
they're ace. do a search in mechanical tho, its been discussed about 3 million times.

Stuart
07-04-06, 02:25 PM
yep good move.. two main types. ATB (quaiffe) or Plate (Gripper/TranX etc)
big debate over which is better etc. some like one or tother for various reasons etc.

basically boils down to wether you can be ****d to pull the diff out for a service of not lol. If not then ATB, if you can then deffo a plate.

craig green
07-04-06, 02:34 PM
ATB for road going cars IMO. Ive not got one but driven a couple cars with them. Awesome experience. makes the car feeel like it wants to go round corners. Helps a little with straight line grip & just generally improves the driveability.

takes a bit of getting used to, more bottle needed.

DaveMarshall
07-04-06, 03:58 PM
I've just fitted a quaife and it's totally transformed the car but yes does take a bit of getting used to.

luke langton
07-04-06, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I have been looking at the quaiffe ATB. Sounds like just what I need!
It takes a bit of getting used to? Is that because to can push it a little more

Give it some rev
07-04-06, 05:15 PM
i'd of said because it grips more around a corner and more
grip + more speed = big fun!!!

Stuart
07-04-06, 05:26 PM
just be wary of a mid corner throttle plant as it will simply pull the front end in what ever direction the wheel is pointing if your not ready for it lol

plates are more subtle in events like that lol

Dar
07-04-06, 05:28 PM
You soon get used to them. Basically you will generally turn tighter than you need to. For example I almost hit the center of the first roundabout that I went around after fitting mine. You can really drive the car through bends rather than waiting for the front to grip.

As Stuart has pointed out the ATB diff is a fit and forget item. Whereas the plate type needs servicing every now and again. Im sure that the plate type is a better option if your going racing or rallying(Deffo for rallying). It can be pre set to give you more of less diff action. So you can tune them in to the car. The ATB is not adjustable.

As Oli has said look in the Technical section. There has been some good debates on the benifits of both types.

dhdev (Oli)
09-04-06, 11:35 AM
For example I almost hit the center of the first roundabout that I went around after fitting mine.

Sounds familiar doesn't it Nova neil :p :D :D

Phil GTE
09-04-06, 11:38 AM
I really fancy one, but am worried about their life - heard they need rebuilding once a year - eek

What would be entailed in the rebuild?

Stuart
09-04-06, 11:40 AM
ATB's dont need a rebuild.

Plates may or maynot need a rebuild. but its only about ?50-60 for a rebuild

craig green
10-04-06, 01:55 PM
ATB's dont need a rebuild.

Plates may or maynot need a rebuild. but its only about ?50-60 for a rebuild
As if running a quick car wasnt expensive enuff already. lol

I'd almost certainly say you need the Quaiffe ATB Luke. As its just a fast road car. It'll help dial out some of the torque steer & just increase driving pleasure & speed a little.

Stuart
10-04-06, 02:16 PM
Have to say the 2.0 XE i drove with an ATB still had its torque steer issue lol

craig green
10-04-06, 02:29 PM
Ahwell. Some people cant help themselves. But as the grip is distributed more equally to each wheel (in a straight line) it shouldnt TS as bad in theory. ??

Stuart
10-04-06, 02:51 PM
in theory your right.
i guess it depends on the pre load on the ATB and how fast you can get it to react. Atleast a plate is always with you in that respect

luke langton
10-04-06, 07:38 PM
I think the ATB is the one I will go for as you can just put it in and forget about it! I don?t really like the idea of have to service it every some many miles.
As Craig said its expensive trying to maintain my car to the moment! There always something to do!
Whats the difference in price anyway?

Stuart
10-04-06, 07:42 PM
more or less the same price really