PDA

View Full Version : brakes!

C20 LET
06-04-06, 08:12 PM
hello everyone!

when i press the pedal, theres loads of play by the time i actually brake. ive tested the servo (switched engine off and depressed pedal, goes hard) i have also clamped both the rear brake hoses and depressed the pedal but no change. Also looked at the cross link and no play. So im left with the master cylinder.

the level is between the min and max mark, and abit of fluid at the back of the servo.

Im thinking that the primary piston seals are worn. new master cylinder?

thanx

1.2 1991 by the way

bump
06-04-06, 09:51 PM
How do,

Have you tried adjusting the nut behind the brake pedal that connects it to the transfer bar? It solved the problem on mine.

Cheers

Bump

bump
06-04-06, 09:54 PM
Apologies, having just re-read your post you've covered that.
It could be that the seals are worn, see if you can get hold of a seal kit from your lmf. i know that mine do them.

Cheers

Bump

C20 LET
07-04-06, 06:47 PM
cheers mate!

but now im suspecting its the servo!! Because the pedal wouldnt go hard if the master cylinder was knakered? After switching the engine off

any prices on a servo and master cylinder? just an estimate.

cheers

bump
08-04-06, 10:26 AM
I've not bought either the servo or m/s, best bet is to try you local motor factors and see what they say. Failing that it'll be vaux.

Cheers

Bump

Stuart
08-04-06, 10:40 AM
get a servo from a scrappy.. not worth a new one

Nobby
08-04-06, 11:35 AM
i fitted my 2.0 brakes calipers, discs pads etc but i could not get a pedal no matter what bled the brakes over and over again even swapped my master cylinder incase the seals inverted but a mechanic i know seems to think that you need a bigger master cylinder to cope with the 2.0 brakes because the pistons are 7-9mm bigger, has anyone ver came across this when upgrading?? i can get a slight pedal but nothing really, is there a bigger master cylinder off a 2.0 cavi or??? cheers

Stuart
08-04-06, 11:38 AM
lots of the "track" folks havent had any problems with using 1.2MC's and servos on 2.0 brakes...

you sure you got the calipers on the right sides?

C20 LET
08-04-06, 11:43 AM
what is your pedal like? is there play and then more than normal effort needed to brake?

i was thinking of going to the scrappy for a servo. could i put a gte/gsi servo on a 1.2 with the normal manufactures pads/disc setup?

will it fit straight on? any modifications required?

Stuart
08-04-06, 11:48 AM
straight fit..

C20 LET
08-04-06, 11:49 AM
would the brakes be much better with a gte/gsi servo compared to the smaller 1?

Stuart
08-04-06, 11:50 AM
the servo dosent change a thing.... its like power steering... only makes life easier.

C20 LET
08-04-06, 11:52 AM
so whats the benefit of using a gsi/gte servo?

should i just get the normal 1 from the scrappy or the gte/gsi?

Ste L
08-04-06, 01:12 PM
dont have to press the brake as hard to get the same pressure,

with the smaller servo, you have to press the brakes a little harder, not much difference other than that

Adam
08-04-06, 01:24 PM
Yup as Ste said
The brakes will still brake the same with any servo.
I have no probs at all with my std 1.2 mc and servo,