PDA

View Full Version : Gear box probs HELP!!!!

richardsneddon
06-04-06, 07:10 PM
:mad: My gear box has started to get very notchy When going down the gear box especially 3rd to second and second to first its getting difficult to put in gear there is no funny noises at anybody help me i would be most greatful

mikey14sr
06-04-06, 07:30 PM
linkage might just need adjusting, covered in the haynes manual.

richardsneddon
06-04-06, 07:32 PM
Cheers mate had a quick look says about a special tool to insert in a hole do ya know what that tool is?

mikey14sr
06-04-06, 07:35 PM
4.5mm drill bit inserted blunt-end first does the trick.

richardsneddon
06-04-06, 07:37 PM
will try it but its a 5 speed box is it still the same?

mikey14sr
06-04-06, 07:48 PM
should be, it's always worked for me. it's often better with two people, one under the bonnet to slacken and tighten the clamp bolt and one in the car to hold the lever in posistion.

richardsneddon
06-04-06, 07:52 PM
will give it a go then cheers will let you know how it goes

2LBaz
07-04-06, 01:01 PM
Yeah have had this problem on most Nova's ive owned, Im local if u need a hand mate. :thumb:

bonkars
10-04-06, 05:22 PM
now then my gearbox is very slack and as u say it is hard to find right gear sum times i have been told to change gear linkage but would rather try tighten it first but were about do u tighten it. and can u put fluid back into gear box as i had drive shafts out and sum was lost if so where cheers alot fella

richardsneddon
10-04-06, 06:11 PM
best thing to do is look in haynes manual about what to tighten but its at the back of the engine if you follow the linkage along the firewall from the gear box you will see where it goes int the car and there is just a single bolt It might be that I believe you can put oil in the gearbox but you have to do it from underneth the car i think