PDA

View Full Version : The respray - paint!

ade
21-03-02, 01:16 AM
As you can tell from prev posts I'm working up to respaying my nova. Have resprayed once before (for a laugh) an entire Nova using spray cans (30 in total) and the finish (considering!) was if I do say so superb! Still looks good 2 yrs on - no fade and only minor rust round arches. However front looks like I've driving behind a gritter for 6 months (motorway driving etc). It's now time to respray properly. However need advice (and this sounds v stupid!) on what type of paint to use. Have spray gun, compressor etc and know how to do it - just need best paint (will be red). Will be done in heated double garage in a couple of months. So, do I use 2 PAK (deadly!) or another acrylic (?) based paint system?
Also - is it worth priming using zinc primer (rear arches) and after final coat lacquering?
How much paint do you think I will need (saw earlier 2.5ltrs?)

Cheers
Ade

"May the seeds of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woooomaan!" (Neil - THE young ones '81)

Damian Coull
21-03-02, 10:07 AM
2.5 shoul dbe enough, I would steer clear of 2pac if I were you from a health point of view. Use cellulose, I wouldn't btoher lacquering, if you put enough coats of paint on you should get a good enough finish not to need lacquer. Me and my brother are in the process of spraying or Nova's this way as well.

Rich Dale
22-03-02, 06:30 AM
You'd normally only need lacquer for metallics/pearls and the like...normal everyday solid red will be fine without it.

I resprayed my Antibes with cans.....looked good, although I never got round to finishing it before I sold it!
The lad who bought it has offered to pay me to finish it :)

Rich Dale
22-03-02, 06:32 AM
P.S. I used normal cans of paint at first, then got some cellulose especially made up and canned and that was a lot easier to work with.....gave a smoother, glossier finish with a lot less effort. A bit more expensive though, but worth it.