PDA

View Full Version : What Tools to.....

2LBaz
05-04-06, 11:41 AM
Going down the scrappy to get these soon:

Cav shifter mod-What do I need to be taking & off what cavalier should it be? GSi/Sri/Any? how do I fit this to my Nova.

Also what tools to get it off? and what tools to get Cavalier calipers & discs?

bump
05-04-06, 12:49 PM
For the Cavalier calipers and discs you'll need a large phillips screwdriver, 10 mm allen key and a hammer, or 10 mm allen socket and a decent length breaker bar. Up to you which method to use, oh nearly forgot a sacroficial (sp) flat screwdriver or chisel is useful for removing the dust caps that hide the caliper bolts.

Cheers

Bump

2LBaz
05-04-06, 12:58 PM
ok mate, thanks. what calipers off which cav or are all 2L cavs the same? silly question-but have no interest in cavs!

R1CH
05-04-06, 12:59 PM
Cav shifter mod-What do I need to be taking & off what cavalier should it be? GSi/Sri/Any? how do I fit this to my Nova.

Thinks theres only 4 10mm bolts holding the lever on them you'll need a 12 / 13 mm spanner / socket to remove it from the linkage, you'll also need some screwdrivers / torx bits to get the centre console off.

This what you wanting to do ?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/DSC00353.jpg

You got to remove the carpet centre support, plate over the hole for the lever to sit on, cut a hole for the lever to pass into the bay, you've gotta straighten the rod that comes off the lever & also lengthen it to join it up to the Nova linkage.

Rich

Give it some rev
05-04-06, 01:02 PM
so whats the advantages of useing a cav shfter ????

Welsh Dan
05-04-06, 01:17 PM
Afaik its a lot more "direct" than the nova one.

2LBaz
05-04-06, 04:01 PM
looks abit of a job to do before this summer, But its something I want to do, as XE's seem to have a very vague gear selection. not just mine, altho mine is like guess the gears, but alot of XE owners have said this is the best way to cut that vagueness out?

Thanks for the pic

Stuart
05-04-06, 04:03 PM
make sure you get the ATE style cav calipers.. the ones that need a 10mm to get off the hub and a 7mm to get the caliper off the carrier

mikey14sr
05-04-06, 04:12 PM
Thinks theres only 4 10mm bolts holding the lever on them you'll need a 12 / 13 mm spanner / socket to remove it from the linkage, you'll also need some screwdrivers / torx bits to get the centre console off.

This what you wanting to do ?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/DSC00353.jpg

You got to remove the carpet centre support, plate over the hole for the lever to sit on, cut a hole for the lever to pass into the bay, you've gotta straighten the rod that comes off the lever & also lengthen it to join it up to the Nova linkage.

Rich

I was thinking of doing this mod, works out about ?400 cheaper than the quaife mechanism:D :thumb:

2LBaz
05-04-06, 04:44 PM
make sure you get the ATE style cav calipers.. the ones that need a 10mm to get off the hub and a 7mm to get the caliper off the carrier

Cheers stu, Commonly found on Cav GSi, Astra GTE/GSi
Are they the same for the Cav SRi's? Ive seen one an H-reg in the breakers I could get them off.

mikey14sr
05-04-06, 05:02 PM
I got mine off a h reg 2.0L, so the sri should have the right ones.