PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure

BigStan
05-04-06, 10:02 AM
I had my head gsasket done on my Nova GTE at the weekend as it had broken, also the inlet, outlet, new tappets and new oil filter ! We cleaned out as much as we could with parrafin as there was sludge crap everywhere. So now she has had a oil change and new coolant !
Before the oil pressure used to be at half way on the gauge now it sits over 3/4 and sometimes goes higher. This is worrying me a great deal ! :cry:
What should the oil pressure be at normally ?
Any ideas why it is so high ?

All feedback welcome, Cheers

Adam
05-04-06, 03:19 PM
When the engine is cold it should be full on the guage.
When the engine has fully warmed up, mine is about on the 1/4 mark. And goes straight to full as soon as you reach about 2000rpm.

mikey14sr
05-04-06, 03:56 PM
Sounds like you had low oil pressure before. The pressure readings you have now are those of a healthy engine.

BigStan
06-04-06, 03:13 PM
It was suggested that i may still have some sludge in the engine blocking one of the pipes but i flushed the engine through before and after the head was put back on !
On mine just before i get to 3000 rpm it goes to just under full then drops back down to 3/4 !
I will have to see what it is like when it is cold and fully warmed up !
Cheers

chimp007_uk
06-04-06, 08:40 PM
slightly off topic, but i recently bought a nova gte, and the oil pressure guage (and the tachometer) don't move...
any ideas have looked behind the dials, all wires connected etc...

BigStan
11-04-06, 03:11 PM
It turns out now that im leaking oil, via the air filter ???????????
Could it be that the high pressure is forcing some oil out of the top breather hose and then down the air intake system ?
Cheers

novalovingned
11-04-06, 05:20 PM
i had the same problem with oil comin out the breather hose,turned out that there was i had filled it up with to much oil so try draining some the run the car and c if there is still oil coming out

ned

BigStan
12-04-06, 03:08 PM
So how much oil are you suggesting that i should have in there ? Last time i looked it was just over half, in between min and max !!
Cheers

No one else with the same problem or suggestions ?

Steve Barker
12-04-06, 03:17 PM
3.5L is the capacity of the engine including filter, the oil pressure should be 1,5 bar at 1010rpm

BigStan
13-04-06, 03:19 PM
Could it be that there is another hose blocked somewhere else ?