PDA

View Full Version : another silly question !

Crazy Ry Ry
04-04-06, 03:14 PM
another silly question ! How do clouds stay in the air when they are made of water vapour and water is heavier than air ? i always wanted to know so i can sleep at night !:confused:

Iain
04-04-06, 03:29 PM
Haha this reminds me of my question "Why doesn't air stick to glue?"

There's some things in life which will remain a mystery. lol

Give it some rev
04-04-06, 03:29 PM
erm......................because they do

Philsutton
04-04-06, 03:31 PM
because its a gas when its in the form of clouds, hence not a liquid like what you might consider, it might be heavier than air but its density will be fairly low. When it cools, an joins to other water molecules its density will increase to a point where gravity over comes the force keeping it up.

Crazy Ry Ry
04-04-06, 03:58 PM
Heres another one if gravity is so strong and holds us all to the ground and nasa has to use millons of ?s worth of fuel into space how can steam just float up so easy ehlol

Crazy Ry Ry
04-04-06, 04:00 PM
if you buttered both sides of a piece of bread does it land on its side ?

Jack
04-04-06, 06:44 PM
Steam floats because its a hot gas, less dense (and less heavier) than the air it displaces. A NASA rocket requires a shedload of energy to break the effect of gravity because the rocket is a lot heavier than the air it displaces.

Bread primarily lands on the butter side because the centre of gravity is off, so if you butter both sides it will theoretically even it up - not that it matters lol. Anyway when you drop bread from a table or plate it usually only has time to make one rotation before it hits the ground.

Lee
04-04-06, 08:42 PM
Bread primarily lands on the butter side because the centre of gravity is off, so if you butter both sides it will theoretically even it up - not that it matters lol. Anyway when you drop bread from a table or plate it usually only has time to make one rotation before it hits the ground.

Yep! The actual reason it lands butter side down 90% of the time, is because most tables are the same height, ergo the bread will spin roughly the same amount of times before it hits the deck lol

The answer is to butter the bottom of your slice of bread lol lol

Donova
04-04-06, 11:11 PM
Or get a higher table;)

Timmy
05-04-06, 12:07 AM
or eat the toast befoe it has time to fall off

Jack
05-04-06, 12:41 AM
Or don't be a spanner and throw it on the floor in the first place lol