PDA

View Full Version : quarter glass windows

NOVAGLEN
06-03-02, 10:01 PM
ive seen the page about somone using metro glass and mechanisms but wondered if these go straight in and what window seal u use.
please help a desperate man, cheers

avon_nova
06-03-02, 10:36 PM
That would be me then...
They don't exactly go straight in. If u keep the nova rubbers and seals then there is a big gap in the corner cos the metro windows have radiused corners, the nova windows pretty much have a right angle. The trouble is the seals don't match the door as nicely.

Anyway the nova has a seperate seal for the main window and quarter light so i used all the metro seals makin it one piece with no gaps.

If u try using the nova mech, u will find it holds the window up until you wind it down. Then the glass tips over and falls into ur door. Guaranteed to piss u right off! X-(

Good Luck :)

Rich Dale
07-03-02, 01:53 AM
Avon....I was told that your windows didn't wind down at all :-/

Hum.....so did yours have winders then?
Can I just check that the White GTE you say was yours is the one I posted about ages ago i.e this one:

http://www.novabug.co.uk/PCC01/PCC01_04.html

Freak
07-03-02, 03:46 PM
You have to use a different type of mech to wind the window.
Try 5 door nova electric mechanisms (cable type). Thats wot im using.

avon_nova
07-03-02, 05:49 PM
Yeah that was my car, some bloke from southampton bought it off me a few months ago, i bought a C reg 2.0 16v to do up for a grand.

I got the passenger side working with a manual winder with the metro mech, but the winder handle hits the door opening handle as u turn it, that's y i suggest getting electrics.

I ran out of time the bloke i sold it 2 said he's gonna hav a go...

I'm the same person who said it's my car when u posted it in december using rysmee's username.

NOVAGLEN
07-03-02, 07:33 PM
thanks for replying, i forgot to ask if its earlier or later metro windows,seals and mechs,does the metro mechanism have to be bolted in a different place and did u get any leaks due to the shape of the window.
top lookin ,what reg is it its well clean,and what size wheels are they

avon_nova
07-03-02, 08:52 PM
It was F - reg. Some git smashed both the front windows 2 days after i'd bought it, i replaced them with some spares from my previous SR which were brown tinted, the GTE's were green & it looked crap.
Also the seals were impregnated with glass splinters so they never wound down nicely. I got hacked off and decided 2 do somethin different.

Anyway i think all the metro's share the same glass, i'm not sure. (I don't like them). Just find a Vanden Plas or GTa / Gti some of them had electrics.
Mine didn't leak and no the mech doesn't fit in the standard holes, unfortunately.

The alloys were 17's et 42. I modified the arches at 1 in the morning with a claw hammer, only took 10 mins!

Rich Dale
13-03-02, 11:45 PM
Also get the glass from the models mentioned above as they'll be green tinted so will match with the Nova windows (if yours are tinted of course).

The older ones used bronze though, as did Novas.

Freak
14-03-02, 02:44 PM
Problem with buying later glass from a scrappy is its more likely to be etched with reg numbers than older glass :(
Handy having a m8 who works for autoglass then.....;)