PDA

View Full Version : Oil light when cornering/braking

Iain
02-04-06, 08:48 PM
When cornering sharply/fast or when braking hard, my dashboard oil light sometimes briefly comes on. The oil level is fine (mid way between MIN and MAX). What could be causing this?

The engine also cut out when braking very hard the other day. I don't think I stalled it, so could this be related and could it be a serious problem?

Cheers. :thumb:

(Engine: 1991 1.2 carb)

Adam
02-04-06, 08:53 PM
If the level is between min and max then it shouldn't be the level thats causing it, although thats what it is normally, as all the oil surges to one side of the sump.

Perhaps the pickup pipe filter is slightly blocked, so as soon as you corner, the oil moves away from the pipe, and because its slightly blocked it cant pick up enough oil.

You could try topping the oil up slightly altho i doubt the level is the problem.

Iain
02-04-06, 08:57 PM
You could try topping the oil up slightly altho i doubt the level is the problem.

I'll give it a go. Just to check, the light on the dashboard refers to oil level and not pressure?

Adam
02-04-06, 08:59 PM
It refers to pressure.
Low level=low pressure.

Or a knackered oil pump could give low pressure too.
Or blocked pickup pipe.

Welsh Dan
02-04-06, 09:43 PM
Our 1.2 carb (1990) had the same problem a few years ago, I think we had the sensor replaced.