PDA

View Full Version : nova over revving help

kronk10
01-04-06, 09:19 PM
Hi my 1.4 nova sr is being really wierd. When in second gear and upward gears the car over revs and redlines when it hits over 3000 rpm. It really bugging me and it is making driving the car ****. I also noticed that i had no fluid in my water bottle so i topped it up and it still runs weird. It isnt my head gasket going cus there is no funny smoke or cream on the oil cap. i hadnt filled up the water bottle in ages so that explains no water. But it feels like the accelerator is sticking.:confused: i really need some help even though i have a mechanic mate coming tomoz to look at it. :cry:

Lee
01-04-06, 11:40 PM
sorry, not following whats wrong? its hitting the rev limiter at 3000 rpm?

Adam
02-04-06, 12:00 AM
Its a carb, so it cant limit at 3000rpm, unless the throttle is getting jammed or something. Or theres a problem with the fuel jets/needles in the carb.

Also, you shouldn't need to top the coolant up at all, ever. Unless your engine has a problem, or your leaking coolant.
I've not touched my coolant bottle for about a yr ish,Lol.

kronk10
05-04-06, 06:56 PM
The car isnt limiting at 3000 rpm iam just crap at explaining things. When i put my foot down all the way to the floor it jams but i cant see where it is jamming it doesnt do it in neutral and i cant just whack my foot to the floor. I have to push pedal down half way etc i think it might be the return spring on the carb but dont know exactly might take it somewhere to get it fixed as iam fed up with it:cry:

Lee
05-04-06, 08:19 PM
Throttle cable?

kronk10
05-04-06, 08:59 PM
Throttle cable?

It has to be but i dont know where it is sticking should i just go down to the scrappy and get a replacment or something its doing my head in i cant rev her right:cry:

johnny27
05-04-06, 09:13 PM
I had the exact same prob with my carbed nova. I put it down to the vacum unit for the second choke sticking. Funny enough aswell it never stuck when reving in neutral only while booting it driving. I maybe be wrong about the vacum unit, but it def only stuck when you could feel the second choke opening up.

mikey14sr
05-04-06, 09:17 PM
I had a similar problem when I first fitted my 32/34, it turned out to be the actuating lever for the second choke sticking against the one for the first choke, all I had to do was prise them apart a little and I've had no trouble since.

johnny27
05-04-06, 09:24 PM
When i was running the peirbug carb (BTW it was'nt off an sr) the second choke did'nt open at full throttle or mechanism, it seemed to be controlled by vacum or something else.

kronk10
05-04-06, 10:36 PM
When i was running the peirbug carb (BTW it was'nt off an sr) the second choke did'nt open at full throttle or mechanism, it seemed to be controlled by vacum or something else.

Thats got to be it mainly because when iam in neutral and i put my foot to the floor it doesnt over rev and stick. But when booting it in gears it just sticks real bad. What can i do to fix this prob i have haynes manual but that doesnt really help. Mainly cus i havent read the bloody thing yet. I am going to get it seen to by my uncle hes a mechanic, what should i tell him etc:confused: