PDA

View Full Version : Track rod ends n shocks

2LBaz
01-04-06, 12:29 PM
Ive bought new track rod ends, n im being stupid, but im baffled how to do em, ive asked before, but i need a real good step by step explanation. im gonna buy a haynes, but can anyone advise me? also how easy is it to remove the front shocks? what tools etc for both jobs?

Adam
01-04-06, 01:44 PM
Track rod ends just unscrew.
Mark there position before you remove them, so you put the new ones on in the same place, then get the tracking set at a Wheel alignment place.

Shocks is pretty tricky iirc.
You need spring compressors, and then you have to remove the top nut whilst gripping the piston with a set of adjustable grips.. Haynes gives a full explanation.

2LBaz
01-04-06, 01:50 PM
shocks will have to be done at the garage, so how long to do the track rod ends? cheers mate

Adam
01-04-06, 01:56 PM
Depends how long it takes you get the old ones off,Lol.
They have a habit of seizing on.

You will also need a balljoint splitter to split the track rod ball joint off the steering knuckle.

2LBaz
01-04-06, 02:05 PM
Can I buy that balljoint splitter? how much do ya think?

Adam
01-04-06, 02:15 PM
Bout ?8 from a motor factors.
You can either get one thats like a fork that you hammer in the joint to split it, but it wrecks the rubber. Not much of a problem if your swapping them for new.

Or you can get a scissor type thing, has a big bolt through it that you tighten to force the joint open. This doesn't wreck the joint rubber, so is best, as you never know when you might need split a balljoint again, without wrecking the rubber seal.

2LBaz
01-04-06, 02:20 PM
simple to use it seems?

Adam
01-04-06, 02:53 PM
Yep.
Just tighten the bolt to force the joint apart.

2LBaz
01-04-06, 06:01 PM
another stupid question, but thats what these forums were made for....

Bought the splitter, do I screw the thread down onto the joint, or do I screw from the bottom-up?