PDA

View Full Version : doing the underside

edwards15
01-04-06, 01:07 AM
whats the best thing to do with the underside of my car?sand down any rust under there around the bottom of spare wheel well etc then put rust killer over it then wax oil?or have i got it wrong?also what should i use to get the old perished sealant off?

Welsh Dan
01-04-06, 01:44 AM
What do you have available to you?

Can you tilt the car on its side to work on, if you can, a handheld sandblasting nozzle on a hobby compressor would probably be my choice.

Failing that, get it on the axle stands one end at a time, and wearing suitable ppe crawl underneath it with a flapwheel + wire brush + scotchbrite + emery paper etc...

Stick a rust inhibitor of your choice on then seal it with <something i dont know what to reccomend>

Give it some rev
01-04-06, 10:21 AM
treat any rust spots and then a lot of waxoyl

nova~norm
01-04-06, 10:28 AM
hud the stuff on thats the best way

edwards15
01-04-06, 12:35 PM
i duno if i will be able to get it on its side but if i can i will do that mate, i have got some axle stands so i can do that also, does anyone know how much wax oil costs?
thanks.

2LBaz
01-04-06, 12:43 PM
waxoyl is b*ll sh*t mate

I live on a narrowboat & we all use a special bitumen for the hull. It lasts for around 2-4 years submerged! :eek:

Will protect ur nova for ever really. Its available at all boat yards & marinas. ?12.50 a tin, n looks exactly the same, give it 2 coats & ur laughing!

I actually red oxided my car then bitumened it, that coverts rust n protects, all for under ?15!

edwards15
01-04-06, 01:09 PM
:eek: think i will go with that mate if its lasts that long!
so should i sand down any rust under there then put some rust beater over it then use that special bitumen?whats red oxide mate?

cheers:thumb:

2LBaz
01-04-06, 01:18 PM
red oxide is basically an odixiser-stops existing rust n converts back to metal.

cheap & its the best stuff, remove surface rust, loose rust etc, but it likes abit of a rust key to stick too.

Adam
01-04-06, 01:31 PM
Make sure you dont miss any bits of rust.
As if you put waxoyl etc over the rust, it will rust even quicker.

edwards15
01-04-06, 03:18 PM
ok mate cheers i will try some of that then

ok mate i will make suer i get it all

Nova_Tek
01-04-06, 08:31 PM
I did this to my bros cav mate, i didnt pass the MOT due to corrosion on the underside. Wire Brush very course sand papr/emery cloth.

Removed all the loose rust rubbed it down to smooth, used Kurust remedy, then let that work its way through. Then used Waxoyl with shultz and added rust eater sprayed that on then a thick stone chip protector on it over the whole underside and it pased with no issues.

edwards15
01-04-06, 09:36 PM
ah thats sounds like the best way then! how much did that cost ya?
whats the best sand blaster on here?would a cheap 1 do the job?
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws %2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=sand+blaster&category0=

craig green
01-04-06, 10:23 PM
try www.frost.co.uk (http://www.frost.co.uk)

bound to have some stuff.

edwards15
01-04-06, 10:40 PM
cheers mate i'll check that site out now :)