PDA

View Full Version : best thing to do to a gsi engine?

edwards15
31-03-06, 03:44 PM
hia! just gatherin up what im gunna do 2 my nova, im gunna get all the bodywork mint then i want to do somthin to the engine so im just wonderin whats best to do 2 it?and what would i have 2 do to do it?

Adam
31-03-06, 03:48 PM
Mappable ecu and management :thumb:
Costs a bit, but meh :thumb:

Or you go down the other route, T40s, cam, headwork etc.

edwards15
31-03-06, 04:19 PM
how much 4 that ecu and management?also what difference does it make?

i been thinkin of the T40s my mate knows someone with some T40s that i could have for ?100 is that a good price?and what els would i have to get if i got the T40s?custom manifold?
thanks.

Adam
31-03-06, 04:41 PM
You can get a ready made inlet for the T40s from
www.tuning.co.uk

?100is a good price if there in working condition etc, might be worth getting a rebuild kit for them too.

As for the mappable management etc, basically it gets the best out a gte/gsi engine whilst running standard MPI, i think upto 150bhp is possible with it. I remember reading that a while back.
It costs quite a bit tho, anything from about ?600 ish up. Plus the cost to get it mapped, maybe another couple of hundred.

edwards15
31-03-06, 05:41 PM
tidy not bad then if i get them t40's and that manifold, would i need anythin els to put them on?
what about throttle bodies off a bike?

thats a fair bit of cash for the mappable management! i would go for the T40s if it will come out cheap.what kinda power would i get if i had T40s on it?

thanks.

Adam
31-03-06, 06:15 PM
Probably around 120-130ish bhp with T40s, and a decent cam.
You would need a 1.4Sr dizzy and coil, and you would sort the fueling as a Gsi electric pump supplies too much pressure for carbs.

Bike throttle bodies would work, but again you would need to buy mappable ecu/management.

edwards15
31-03-06, 06:32 PM
ok mate, thanks very much

Riggy
31-03-06, 07:27 PM
phhhh turbo it :thumb:

Adam
31-03-06, 07:32 PM
Ahh ye, you've always got the possibility of that /\ :)
Think Craig Green has a turbo'd 1.6 8v.

edwards15
31-03-06, 08:56 PM
hmmmmmm i would love that! what kinda turbo has craig green got on his?also how much would that cost me?

2LBaz
01-04-06, 06:28 PM
40's, head work, & a good cam will cost upto 500 quid without accounting for if a garage does the work & u will need a rolling road session from my experience.

I know the post is what to do to get the best out of a 1.6, but if you can get the insurance-go for the XE :thumb: gonna cost alittle more, but even more scope for power

R1CH
01-04-06, 06:44 PM
What you done to it so far ?
Best bet is to start with a decent exhuast & 4 branch manifold & a decent air filter. i done that with my old GSi, didn't make it much / any faster but it rev'd a lot quicker (and sounded nice !).

Rich

2LBaz
01-04-06, 07:01 PM
Yeah ur right Rich, a 4 branch is supposed to give a few extra ponies, but it allows the engine to work easier-& get the gasses out more efficiently, I wouldnt really count it as a mod-But its more of a help to the engine. Noise is also noticeable, rev range picks up quicker.

Filters are always a good thing, just be careful where u mount it, as hot air is not a good thing this time of year.

edwards15
01-04-06, 08:31 PM
its not realy going to be gettin used this year its a project to be ready for next year.
i would get insurance on an XE so its mods for the gsi, i think i'll do that then first, get a 4branch and a str8 thru exhaust, its got a backbox and a pipercross induction kit on at the mo

craig green
01-04-06, 10:12 PM
Turbo !

craig green
01-04-06, 10:16 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/Craigypics/CraigNova2.jpg

Like mine

edwards15
01-04-06, 10:16 PM
have you got a turbo on yours craig?

edwards15
01-04-06, 10:17 PM
i see you have then! that looks mint! what els have you dont to it?what bhp it puttin out?and how much did it cost ya?

craig green
01-04-06, 10:20 PM
Cost ?4.5k incl rebuild

Power 164 bhp / 172 lb/ft

Its got cam & head & hybrid T25 & aquamist soon. Being rebuilt with polished engine etc.

edwards15
01-04-06, 10:23 PM
:eek: thats alot of money! looks mint tho!:thumb: love to get mine half as good as that

craig green
01-04-06, 10:24 PM
do it at a fraction of the cast bud

www.mvaux.com

edwards15
01-04-06, 10:32 PM
thats great mate! i think i will get all the bodywork sorted and then save some pennys for that turbo kit!

thanks

craig green
01-04-06, 10:34 PM
Hee Hee. You know it makes sense.

Get a big valve head mate & the torque will blow ya mind!

edwards15
01-04-06, 10:38 PM
awesome! cant wait now! lol
get all the body done first tho

Stuart
01-04-06, 10:43 PM
id go for aftermarket management with that turbo kit. dont for one second belive that a dual rate FPR will keep it running safe!

edwards15
01-04-06, 11:01 PM
probly will mate, i have got plently of time and will be able to spend plenty of money on it so the aftermarket management will be considerd also

thanks

Lee
01-04-06, 11:19 PM
Cheapest option would be to plumb in a nice big bottle of laughing gas lol

But IMO id go for the 1.6 16v conversion, and fit some TB's, but that will be expensive, but you cant put a price on the noise they make!

Adam
02-04-06, 12:13 AM
That turbo kit looks a right bargain.
So basically, that kit and some sort of management, and you could have a running 16se turbo.

Hmmm, i want lol

SuperNova!
02-04-06, 01:03 AM
Yeah it does look very cheap, how hard are they to plumb in?

How do you run one with a carb?

Adam
02-04-06, 01:20 AM
That kit is for MPI engines.

Not sure about a carb engine, iirc R5 turbos have a carb engine tho, so it is possible.

edwards15
02-04-06, 01:30 AM
yep i think im gunna go with that for my engine work :) just had a look and its ?71 p&p but oh well it should be worth it

SuperNova!
02-04-06, 01:03 PM
Have been talking to my old man who deals in Turbos, and he reakons the kit will need aftermarket management or progressive rising rate fuel pressure regulator and without low compession pistons your engine would last about 10minutes and the gain would be minimal.

womble sri
02-04-06, 02:47 PM
t40s are good but expensive ive pissed well over a grand on my 1.4 and i already had the carbs its well fast though. im gonna take it off the road and prob put them on a "bullet proof" gte bottom end. its all very well but i think the injection root would be better cos there not always very drivable and fuel consumption is rediculous

edwards15
02-04-06, 03:01 PM
wouldnt mind some T40's but i would love to turb it! have to wait and see but i will probly turb it when i have the money to buy all the parts needed like management etc

Dan
02-04-06, 05:07 PM
i think the injection root would be better cos there not always very drivable and fuel consumption is rediculous

I'm afraid thats just down to a poor setup mate. My engine is very drivable and pulls cleanly from as low as 16mph in 5th until the limiter. To back this up it has reasonable performance and still returns an average of 30-35mpg although 26-30mpg is more likely when its being driven hard on track all day tbh.

I also havent had the carbs tuned for 3 yrs or so which flattens the reliability/knocking out and all the other old wives tales.

(obv with the above comments i run a fairish cam and bits which 'should' according to many be undrivable along with running carbs etc which goes to show setup is the key)

Adam
02-04-06, 06:02 PM
g although 26-30mpg is more likely when its being driven hard on track all day tbh Which still seems a pretty good mpg, i get into the low 30ish mpg even in a 1.2i, if giving it some abuse.

SuperNova-Iirc the e16se engine has pretty low compression to begin with.
Should be ok, as long as you dont go mad with the boost levels etc, and as long as you sort the fueling with aftermarket management, so it doesn't go lean and melt,Lol.
It will still cost quite a bit to do tho.

edwards15
02-04-06, 06:06 PM
lol love to turb it but maybe i should just wait and put a 2.0 in after a while?

Adam
02-04-06, 06:09 PM
Meh, thats the boring thing to do,Lol.

edwards15
02-04-06, 06:40 PM
lol thats what i thought

Adam
02-04-06, 06:41 PM
I was thinking of getting one of those turbo kits for my 1.2spi ;) ;) lol

edwards15
02-04-06, 06:46 PM
lol

Cheeze
03-04-06, 07:40 AM
Standard compression on a e16se/c16se is somewhere about 10:0: i think
You dont really need low compression pistons you can get a 2mm spacer plate that lowers the ratio down to around 8ish or so i have been told ( this is what novaNiel was running) its a bit cheaper and concidered a "bodge" by most. But i would rather have that blow than knacker a set of pistons if there is a problem
Also you have to use two headgaskets when using the spacer

Im looking into doing this conversion on my Gsi was going to use matheus turbo kit from www.mvaux.co.uk (http://www.mvaux.co.uk) and to control extra fueling the Aquamist Mf2 controller with a MAP sensor in 3D mode http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/mf2/mf2.html for info
then just get a Frontera intercooler and pipe work etc all made up
Heres a pic of the spacer plates i had made up standard headgasket in the centre spacer plate on the right http://www.scottishnovas.co.uk/cheeze/DSC01518.JPG

Stuart
03-04-06, 08:15 AM
i was under the impression that novaneil initially used a sapcer plate then did it properly with LC pistons...

also bear in mind that the "new" golf CTI is a 10:1 CR 2.0 engine with boooooost lol.

craig green
03-04-06, 12:18 PM
Ive had 12psi out of mine with the L-Jetronic. No detonation, looking at my piston crowns)

Standalone management is the way to go & no doubt I'd see a fair bit more power. Mega bucks tho, + mapping.

Adam
03-04-06, 01:08 PM
Ive had 12psi out of mine with the L-Jetronic. No detonation, looking at my piston crowns)

So you've ran yours using the standard Jetronic management?

womble sri
03-04-06, 01:16 PM
I'm afraid thats just down to a poor setup mate. My engine is very drivable and pulls cleanly from as low as 16mph in 5th until the limiter. To back this up it has reasonable performance and still returns an average of 30-35mpg although 26-30mpg is more likely when its being driven hard on track all day tbh.

I also havent had the carbs tuned for 3 yrs or so which flattens the reliability/knocking out and all the other old wives tales.

(obv with the above comments i run a fairish cam and bits which 'should' according to many be undrivable along with running carbs etc which goes to show setup is the key)

i have had mt carbs set up twice this year not because they went out of sync but because i changed the exhaust manifold which did mess em up. mine has been set up so that is running slightly rich to cure a spit at lower revs when it ran lean for half a second so that is why it prob rinses fuel but they do any way especially with my concrete feet. the lumpiness is probably down to my cam which is quite wild dunno what you use mines a piper bp300 and it was 'supertuned' by peter baldwin so its definetly not down to poor set up.:D

craig green
03-04-06, 01:36 PM
So you've ran yours using the standard Jetronic management?

yeah, its got a vac/pressure operated micro switch to run full fuel phase when it comes on boost.
cant report any probs to be honest. it would make more power with management & ign mapping but its fecking quick as it is.

Adam
03-04-06, 01:39 PM
How have you got it to add extra fuel on boost?
Extra injector?

Or can the 4std injectors supply enough fuel?

craig green
03-04-06, 01:42 PM
On the bosch, the 4 injectors are fine. The boost switch activates the injectors to full phase. An extra fuel pressure reg controls fuel depending on boost pressure (rising rate).

Stuart
03-04-06, 02:03 PM
sounds like bit of a bodge to me... but i guess if your happy then thats fine lol

craig green
03-04-06, 03:03 PM
Nah, not a bodge.

cheque received btw.

Adam
03-04-06, 05:00 PM
On the bosch, the 4 injectors are fine. The boost switch activates the injectors to full phase. An extra fuel pressure reg controls fuel depending on boost pressure (rising rate).
Cool.

:D

SRi-pete
03-04-06, 06:51 PM
sure ya can buy lc pistons off that mvaux site also. thinking of getting one to