PDA

View Full Version : How Come

SuperNova!
28-03-06, 11:45 PM
How come when I wake up in the morning and get in my car I have less petrol than the night before?

I know its easy to think there is a leak but I have checked the tank and its dry and can never seem to smell petrol?

Any Ideas?

Welsh Dan
28-03-06, 11:54 PM
Do you actually have less fuel, or does it just seem that way? The fuel indicators aren't accurate. Especially in the lower half of the tank, ours seems the same, its just the way its measured/shown. The indicator is heavily damped, so when its high and goes down slowly it might not move enough, when you turn it off then back on it might not move up enough.

I think the fuel tank capacity in ours is 40 ish litres, but topping up 20 litres of fuel can take it from just above a 1/4 tank to an indicated overfull tank. Go figure :tard:

Adam
29-03-06, 12:08 AM
How much less??

Tank capacity is 42litres iirc.

jbowman
29-03-06, 09:59 AM
Ive had the same problem in my TD, it looks like I have nothin when I start off but when I arrive I arrive I have more fuel than I started with. As the day goes it gives a more accurate reading.

SuperNova!
29-03-06, 10:46 AM
What I was thinking is a sticky float in the tank but I park downhill so if it was going to stick then it should read high, it seems to go down quite substantially I have a digital dash so if the night before it reads half tank and then in the morning it will read the 3 lights lit up over 1/4 of a tank or if there is a 3/4 tank then it would read 1/2 + 3 lights.

If it was a sticky float then I should think that after a few mins of driving it should unstick because I dont drive like a fairy and there are bends and pot holes everywhere not just straight roads.

I realy cant get my head around it! lol

mikey14sr
29-03-06, 10:53 AM
Nova fuel gauges are crap full stop. I think there are ways to re-calibrate them but it's not worth bothering. Mine reads 3/4 when it is actually half full, and 1/2 when it's a 1/4 full.

graham kirkbride
29-03-06, 10:56 AM
hi mate my nova is the same after half a tank they do read unaccurate but thats the way novas are you just have to live with it realy ive had a new sender unit and its still the same and with the price of petrol now days you dont get alot for a tenner especially in a valver