PDA

View Full Version : bigger brake servo, wont fit

octane
27-03-06, 10:17 AM
right i went to chaange my servo over from crappy standard sr one to the massive ate version from a astra gsi. i thought that it was just a straight swap of the two parts, but when pushing the servo through into the bulkhead / passenger compartment the connections are completley different. anyone know ow to sort this problem??

craig green
27-03-06, 02:47 PM
It wont fit, realistically I think you will need to space it ont the mounts & have the actuator arm machined to the correct length. Too long or short could be the difference between no brakes or dangerous master cylinder over extension. IIRC

Adam
27-03-06, 02:48 PM
An astra servo has completely different fittings etc and wont fit a nova as you have found out.
You need a nova GSi/SRi/GTe one

craig green
27-03-06, 03:04 PM
I think it has been done. As says, mucho work for minimal gain IMO.

Best upgrade would be to ditch the transfer bar behind the dash & use a motorsport pedal box & mc or fit a Corsa servo in place where the battery normally is.

Ste L
27-03-06, 03:07 PM
can be done i seen, not quiet sure how its done though

easier kust to fit the one from the gte/gsi/sri as long live the nova said

SRlew
27-03-06, 06:31 PM
Best upgrade would be to ditch the transfer bar behind the dash & use a motorsport pedal box & mc or fit a Corsa servo in place where the battery normally is.

what does all this involve then? easy upgrade or not.

Stuart
27-03-06, 06:51 PM
you could always jsut fit the simple bias box to replace the servo etc, but you will still need to stand on the pedal hard to stop since you have no assitance.

basically a servo will only make the pedal feel lighter but it wont make you stop sooner..

Ste L
27-03-06, 07:29 PM
so basically stu, if you got the smaller one, you only have to press a little hadrer than if you have the bigger one?

R1CH
27-03-06, 08:02 PM
I've got Calibra Turbo servo & master cylinder to go on mine, just had to make up a mount !
Running Calibra Turbo calipers & i needed a servo & master cylinder, i had the Calibra one in my garage so thought i may as well use it !!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/DSC00350.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/DSC00351.jpg

Got a plate made to fit the Nova bulkhead & one to fit the Calibra Servo then got a piece of large pipe to go betwen the two, you've also gotta mod the end of the servo push rod (?) to fit on to the Nova pedal.

Rich

novamadman
27-03-06, 08:39 PM
how great are the benefits of fitting a gsi servo instead of say a 1000 or 1200 one even when using bigger brakes on front and back

Stuart
27-03-06, 08:52 PM
so basically stu, if you got the smaller one, you only have to press a little hadrer than if you have the bigger one?

correct, but the actual stopping ability of the vehicle will be unchanged (unless you only weigh just enough to push the large servo equit one down and stop)

getlost29
27-03-06, 11:16 PM
i put the bigger caplipers on the front of my nova, all i did then was change the master cylinder for one with no bias to the rear, havent had any problems so far.

My first car never had a servo though so got used to pushing hard to stop

to be onest i dont like having the servo on now makes the pedal to light for my liking

Ste L
27-03-06, 11:18 PM
correct, but the actual stopping ability of the vehicle will be unchanged (unless you only weigh just enough to push the large servo equit one down and stop)

ahhh, think i wont bother swapping mine for a bigger one then,

cheers for that..

octane
28-03-06, 10:07 AM
oh. well thats changed my thinking then , dont think will worry abouta bigger servo if its not gonna make a big difference. i just assumed that bigger is better!!

octane
28-03-06, 12:53 PM
next question,l has anyone got a brake servo from a nova gsi for sale?

octane
28-03-06, 09:04 PM
anyone??