PDA

View Full Version : Fibre glass flush piece (tailgate)

db_1.2
26-03-06, 06:43 PM
dont know if anyone has ever seen these but it seems like a good idea but i dont know how they look, its just easier than weldin a piece in i think, also i was thinking about using the boot release from a mondeo when i realised its completely different, how does eveyuone get there boots open?:thumb:

ade
26-03-06, 06:56 PM
what type of panel is it?

If its the one that goes up the side of the hatch (ie up the side of the glass) for a proper finish, you need to actually cut the metal away from the sides and the lower section (where the number plate goes), then bond the fibreglass panel in its place. It's not just a case of sticking it over the existing plate area.

Same goes for the straight forward glass fibre rectangle that covers the lower 1/4 - you need to remove the metal plate 1st - you can bodge it on but I guarantee it'll crack after a while - or sill stick oit a little too much.

Look out for ripples/warping too...

For the effort, youre just as quick paying a mechanic to weld a plate over the number plate area.

Also - you need to consider where to rehouse your number plate - just sticking it to the existig bumper looks terrible!

Consider making a number plate recess...

Ade

db_1.2
26-03-06, 07:03 PM
ah i see i thought you just bonded it over the original boot panel as it looks like you do, thats a bit of a bugger really any other ideas?

Mike.
26-03-06, 08:56 PM
those panels aren't very good at all IMO, i bought one last year and bonded it straight on to the tailgate

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/6666666/mikes005.jpg

as you can see from the pic, the panel is all rippled and it stuck out too far.

db_1.2
26-03-06, 09:05 PM
yeh i can see so did you just bond that straight on then?

mikey14sr
27-03-06, 09:20 AM
I believe it was Burgo who sorted one out for Baxter, He cut away the boot skin that would have been covered by the F/G panel, and the the f/g was bonded to the boot frame.