PDA

View Full Version : 1300 SR Gearbox

Geth
25-03-06, 08:15 PM
What a great start to the weekend!

Part of my gearbox casing has broken off where it attaches to the rear engine mount. I was removing the mount so i could repair the gear linkage, which I did, but now I've ****ed the gear box!

I think I've found my self a 1300 sr box but not sure what is a reasonable price range for one. I don't think it's been recon'd at any point but I have been told that it was all running well before the back end was parked in a brick wall lol

Thanks

mikey14sr
25-03-06, 09:30 PM
?20 tops, if it is a c/r version

Give it some rev
25-03-06, 09:39 PM
the box out of my GTE had a huge crack in it where the rear mount is. not very good is it m8

Geth
26-03-06, 12:44 AM
It's not good at all m8. There were no signs of cracks when I did the engine transplant a few months back but I remember removing the box with the mount still attached as the bolts were a bit stiff back then.

I managed to get the bolts out today using a long power bar, but when the bolt came out a chunk of the box fell off and I had stripped the thread. one tiny bit of metal falls off and the box is ****ed! Unbelievable!

Anyway, I think there's a lesson to be learned here (and I don't mean to preach to the converted), when a bolt is so stiff that you need to be hanging your self off an 18" power bar to undo it, find another way.

Snowface
28-03-06, 11:25 AM
hindsight can be a barsterd!

novapearl
28-03-06, 08:18 PM
Know lots of people who have had similar problems...

'It wouldn't come off, so i put the air gun on it from five minutes - then it broke - why?....

Two little words to help avoid this - Copper grease!

Especially on bits where steel bolts go into aluminium housings. Lovely stuff. Stick it on manifold bolts, wheel bolts, hub centres (so wheels don't rust on) behind brake shoes to stop squeaking, backs and edges of brake pads to stop seizing.... list is endless.

But don't put too much on or you get a hell of a mess... i speak from experience!