PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioning alloys

db_1.2
25-03-06, 06:15 PM
hi, i would like to recondition my alloys, there in quite a state but not beyond repair! can anyone suggest first of all how to get the paint off, how to get rid of scuffs and sracth's and also what paint to use when repainting the wheels.Also prices would be helpful (on a very tight budget!)

One other thing is the wheels are wobling quite bad, i know a reasonable amount about mechanics etc as i am a trainee mechanic but is it possible the wheels are too bad to even be re balanced? they did have weights before as i can see where they were but the bloke who had them before took them off, for what reason i dont know.

Please help you can see the results i will post pics and ill be up pv this year:thumb:

mikey14sr
25-03-06, 07:28 PM
The method I use to check old alloys is to go down to my cousins tyre place and mount the rim only onto the balancing machine. When it spins up you will be able to see if the rim is out of shape, if you can see the edge going up and down or side to side its had it.
To refinish them I just sand them down with 400 grit paper, fill any light scratches with body filler, on deeper ones and on the edge of the rim I use chemical metal. Then just continue as if it's a normal body panel. You can get away with rattle cans from hellfrauds or the like, or if you know a sprayer try getting them to do 'em in his down-time.

Heres a pic of one of mine, done 10 months ago with cheap rattle cans,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/Project/wheel.jpg

db_1.2
25-03-06, 10:37 PM
yeh the ones i got are trashed and have flat spots! from what i can see anyway i never really took a lot of notice. so could my wheels still be balanced do you think? the main problem is when i take my foot of the accelerator and let it slow down, there is no problem when the brakes are applied, im pretty sure its balancing, but what if it isnt?!

mikey14sr
25-03-06, 11:06 PM
hmm, is there a bit more travel on the brake pedal then there should be? any noises from the front? Any play in the steering? When mine first went back on the road I was chasing front end wobbles for months, finally discovered that the pinch bolt on the steering column uj was loose due to having a knackered thread after I'd changed everthing other than the wheel bearings.

db_1.2
26-03-06, 04:06 PM
i dont think thats it because when i had the gte alloys on there it was fine, ill just take them to get balanced next week and see what the results are, thanks for you help

ade
26-03-06, 06:50 PM
refurbishing - I wrote a guide for www.nova-land.com (http://www.novaland.com) - its still there - I had 14" standard nova 3 spokes and they were well bubbly.

Remove tyre to get proper job otherwise youre bound to get paint on the rubber or at least not get a good finish on the edges. To shift paint try heat gun and scraper or a burnisher you get for removing paint that fits to a drill. Go easy though.

If you have curbes and dings out of the alloys you can sand back carefully a little. For deep couges you'll need to get them filled properly - no good sticking filler in them because it'll just crack (centrifugal forces etc). May get away with a light skim.

If you take right down to alloy you'll need to prime with etch primer - halfords do it - spray it on (use a respirator its acid based). this will give a good finish and becasue it eats into the surface (micropourous depth) youre guaranteed no bubbling (providing you prep it properlky 1st of course).

You can finish in whatever colour you want after that but I highly recommend lacquering once done (allow paint to cure fully 1st though - like in a warm environment for at least a week!) Add 3 layers at least of lacquer for high glodd protected finish.

As for wobbly wheels - can you be more specific? Is it when you brake, feedback through the steering or are they just wobbly?

If braking - check suspension components including bushed, tie bars, strut tops/shocks for wear and tear (and geneally loose) - check ball joints...

Could be warped disks/sticking pads in when braking

Could be incorrect offset (you never said what alloys you have)

Could be the weights being removed so wheels arent balanced (as mentioned)

etc.etc.etc

Ade

db_1.2
26-03-06, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the tips they will be very usefull, as for the wobble it doesnt occure when braking, the feedback is through the steering wheel, only slightly when accelerating but a lot more when deccelorating (not braking) hopefully it just needs new weights ill see if i can get it into a local garage this week or do it at college, also how much does it cost if you know? again thanks

ade
26-03-06, 06:58 PM
for the weights?

take it to kwick fit or any other tyre place - they'll balance them all for a tenner and add weights tops

What alloys do you have? If theyre the wrong offset (et) then they'll wobble and tram line (randomly follow grooves in the road).

I'd check your steering and suspension components too.

db_1.2
26-03-06, 07:05 PM
im not sure off offset or what alloys they are!!! just fox ones thats all i know apart from bein 15". the suspension and steering is fine, just the wheels as it was fine when i had the gte's on, besides that the SPAX dampers and springs are only a few months old

SRlew
28-03-06, 10:02 AM
right you know on most alloy wheels they use stick on weights and on steels and some alloys the use those ones that clip to the edge. well my cav gsi alloys had the ones that clip to the edge. is it possible for the tyre place to use the stick on ones instead of the clip on ones?

good guide ade, i'll be using it to do mine.

cheers, lew

mikey14sr
28-03-06, 10:52 AM
They should use them if you ask them to, if they refuse or dont know what you mean find somewhere else.

db_1.2
28-03-06, 11:45 AM
i could actually balance them myself at college but that means i have to take my car to college but i cant drive yet! i know i could do it myself but im just not sure if it would work, probably would mind, well i should be taking it down to pro tyre tomorrow hopefully if step dad gets off his ass! so ill let you know if it makes any difference tomorow:thumb:

db_1.2
29-03-06, 03:45 PM
yeh about the wheels..........*sctracth's head*..... there f*cked! completely! so looks like ill have to chuck there in a bush somewhere, so anyone sellin any alloys for around 150 quid?! cus p+p is 45