PDA

View Full Version : gsi bumper to bigmouth?

bob
08-02-02, 12:11 PM
I have just took delivery of a gsi bumper from colin smith,the mounting bars bent and someone has put driving lights in the slats,so I am after bigmouthing it,I have seen the guide on topbuzz,but I still do not feel very confident about it,can anyone give me more pointers or tips?-or can anyone carry it out for me???
any help would be great,DIDNT MICKY OWENS CARRY OUT THE BIG MOUTH CONVERSION ON HIS? PLEASE HELP!

sideskirts soon

bob
09-02-02, 12:17 PM
please someone?-reassure me it aint that hard or something at least :(

sideskirts soon

bob
09-02-02, 06:18 PM
Im sorry if I have upset everyone for some reason :( just would be nice to have some feed back!-Ive started it now,Ive done almost all the cutting,has anyone got any tips on how to get the "mouth" level all the way round to accomadate the mesh?

sideskirts soon

bigdee
09-02-02, 11:33 PM
there is a guide on topbuzz

http://www.knighta.f9.co.uk/mods/gsi_bumper_mod/gsi_bumper_mod.htm

this is the link, i think it should work
hope this helps :D

bob
10-02-02, 09:30 AM
it does thanks mate,what Im after knowing is how other peeps got on smoothing off the mouth,whether they fibreglassed in a recess or made the mesh flat against the front of the bumper,the guides kick ass tho!

sideskirts soon

Chris_W
10-02-02, 11:00 AM
Bob,
The majority of the 'bigmouth' bumpers are done the same as Micky's in that they aren't recessed much, if at all. Normally they cut the central vent out, as described in the Topbuzz guide, but instead of extending it back, they cut it level, which I believe leaves about 5-10mm of recess, then put the mesh on the back and fibreglass it on.

HTH

Chris

chrisward@netlineuk.net
Red MK2 Nova 1.4 SR

Chris_W
10-02-02, 11:02 AM
Also, I forgot to add, you don't have to fibreglass the extention part in, you could actually plastic weld it if you have access to the equipment (?100 from Demon Tweeks).

Chris

chrisward@netlineuk.net
Red MK2 Nova 1.4 SR

bob
10-02-02, 04:05 PM
thats great news thanks!-and I just got me a nice mk2(with small damage to it) for a tasty price,and am collecting the car end of the month,so have some time to get cracking on with my bumper,and finding a nice interior for it!

sideskirts soon

darren
10-02-02, 11:21 PM
It,s a peice of pish m8 we did mine in an afternoon, let it dry overnight and was on my car next day, i havnt read the topbuzz guide but we did it no bova at all without any help,

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Rich Dale
10-02-02, 11:32 PM
Hi Bob...it sounds like you're getting on with things nicely......can't wait to see how it goes on.

Will you send us some pics?

darren
10-02-02, 11:35 PM
Right mines different to that on topbuzz and the mouth is bigger on mine but my mesh is flush to the bumper, i had exactly the same problem with stupid fogs so i had no alternative than to bigmouth it and im pleased i did, We cut from the line under the number pl8 to the edge ov the slats wid a small dremel type tool very carefully, then we took it down until the bottom line ov the plastic bottom bit but we cut into it say 1/2 centimeter, this was difficult and we snapped loads ov blades due to them overheating but be patient cos it,s worth it. We then covered the back in mesh carefully then left it in clamps to let the bonding stuff stick properly, the only trouble we had was with the tow eye cover which was a pain in the ass, but we managed to stick it on after sum head scratcin, Where bouts u at? if it,s near cumbria and ur stuck we'd try and sort it 4 ya.

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

bob
11-02-02, 09:54 AM
I am mate,and Im greatful for the help,its just a pain in the neck trying to get the mouth all straight at the mo,as I am trying to have an ever so slight lip on it,I think I will be painting the metal valance in a black colour so it looks alot deeper,I will keep the post informed,Im just off to get a tub of fibreglass to help me a bit,as well as some decent glue and probably some mesh,and knowing me a few other bits I see in the diy shop or car shop!

sideskirts soon

PAG
11-02-02, 11:00 AM
i have just done a mk1 sr bumper not real big mouth but looks ok

bob
12-02-02, 09:39 AM
lol! well not all of us are multi talented,mines coming along now anyeays,Im going to look at some mesh today,theres a metal works near by that I think will sort me out alot cheaper than the ripspeed stuff,and probably less than B&Qs too!-Im also struggling to get insured on this car,as it was a 1.0 now its a 1.4-and the insurance companies dont like it :(

sideskirts soon