PDA

View Full Version : 1.2spi lump into 1.2 carb

dhdev (Oli)
21-03-06, 07:53 PM
As above.
Will the spi lump be the same bar the fueling. I.e can i remove a knackered carb 1.2, take off the inlet and carb, put it onto a 1.2spi head and block?
What about the mechanical fuel pump will that fit the injection head?
cheers.

chunky6969
21-03-06, 07:57 PM
they are completely different priciples of fueling....you just can tape it together...youre gonna need the fuel tank ....pump and fuel lines for a start ...and prob the dizzy and coil as well

also you will need the wriring loom and ecu to boot .....

dhdev (Oli)
21-03-06, 07:59 PM
Dude no offence but read the above post.:wtf:
I want to use the engine from an SPI and fit the carb and inlet off a carbed 1.2 and fit it to a carbed 1.2 shell.
Sorry if that wasn't clear!

I,theNortherner
21-03-06, 08:05 PM
As above.
Will the spi lump be the same bar the fueling. I.e can i remove a knackered carb 1.2, take off the inlet and carb, put it onto a 1.2spi head and block?
What about the mechanical fuel pump will that fit the injection head?
cheers.

You might as well take the whole engine out and replace it with a 1.6gte or gsi lump, this will make you go quicker. What is the point in half measures?

dhdev (Oli)
21-03-06, 08:11 PM
I have a 1.2 spi engine that has covered 4,500 miles sat in my garage and i want it to replace the engine in a 1.2 carb nova for my old man to potter about in.
If i want to go fast i own the fastest N/A FWD car at USC last year :)

mikey14sr
21-03-06, 08:30 PM
Just swap the bottom end over, the ports in the 1.2i head are the wrong shape to match up with the carb manifold.

dhdev (Oli)
21-03-06, 08:42 PM
Cheers mikey. Thought that could be the case :( I was gonna buy a nova with a knackered engine and swap my lump into it, but without knowing for sure what is knackered i'm not sure whether to risk it. I.e if i buy it and the head is whats causing the lack of compression then i'd hav to go out and get a 1.2 head and i couldn't be bothered with that. :(

mikey14sr
21-03-06, 08:50 PM
lack of compression in the knackered lump could be either the head gasket, duff valves or rings, if you swapped the bottoms over you'd be changing the head gasket along the way, and you could re-lap the valves on the carb head which would be all three possible causes covered.

dhdev (Oli)
21-03-06, 08:57 PM
I've got enough car based projects on at the moment:tard: . I wanted this to be as quick and painless as poss. So anything beyond unbolt engine - bolt in new engine, is too much work in my book ;) Good suggestions tho!

Adam
22-03-06, 12:02 AM
It depends on what engine code the 1200 carb is? Is it a 12st or a 12nz?

If its a 12st then the bore sizes are completely different compared to a SPI block.