PDA

View Full Version : decent paint restorer (my red novas gone pink!)

Stanley
20-03-06, 06:13 PM
ive been trying to restore the paint on my nova for a few weeks now and nothing seems to be making much of a dent in the pink-ness stakes.

i was wondering if anyone has found an effective method to solve the problem

trying to hide what once said 'spin' is proving harder than once thought hehe.

answers on a postcard please!

cheers

kevo16v
20-03-06, 06:21 PM
I had to machine polish a mates nova on saturday the bonnet, roof & tailgate had faided so much it was almost white. I used 3M Perfect-it Fine Cut Compound it worked a treat.
http://www.paints4u.com/productsByCat.aspx?MainCategoryID=27&Mainselection=21&SubCategoryID=206&Subselection=0

Adam
20-03-06, 06:27 PM
You could use a polishing mop and some G3 cutting compound, that should sort it.

Then polish it as the paint will be fresh, and easily effect by the sun etc again.

Stanley
20-03-06, 06:32 PM
a lad i know whos car never has a mark on it, (and i really mean that), mentioned auto glym or something called frecla G3??

anyone hard of this?

i work at an auto supplies shop(chav lights, wheels, tools, paints and polishes etc etc)/salvage yard so i can lay my hands on most types of gear

mikey14sr
20-03-06, 06:36 PM
G3's the stuff you need, I used a litre of t-cut on mine last year and even with using autoglym on top every fortnight its turned slightly pink again

Stanley
20-03-06, 06:43 PM
i also wanna paint my bumpers black too (standard mk2 1.2 etc etc)

any suggestions on that front?

there stupid ****y grey now and against the pink car there lookin a tad ****e lol

Adam
20-03-06, 06:47 PM
AutoGlym bumper care will make them look dark and black.

Rexy
20-03-06, 07:31 PM
g3 and a buffer, go over the car twice, apply a decent polish and buff off... might as well polish it twice, your call tho. Make sure you wash the car pretty well before you use a buffer on it or it may scrath hell out the paintwork and dont burn threw watch the edges ;) or get a bodyshop to buff it for you. Laffin'

polly
20-03-06, 07:33 PM
put some thinners on a cloth and rub it into the bumper and as soon as it evaporates get a blow torch and go around it with the flame touchin the bumper until you see it come shiney be careful it will happen as soon as the flame hits it and it will look the way it came out of the factory works on corsa wheel archs i do it all the time:thumb:

Jules
21-03-06, 09:21 AM
It's to do with the blue pigment in the paint being faded by the sun, yes you can cut the top few layers to get the redness back but it will do it again no matter how much you polish it - if you plan to sell the car then do it just before putting it up for sale, if you plan on keeping the car for a while then I'd be looking for a quick blow over respray with fresh paint.

Jules
21-03-06, 09:26 AM
put some thinners on a cloth and rub it into the bumper and as soon as it evaporates get a blow torch and go around it with the flame touchin the bumper until you see it come shiney be careful it will happen as soon as the flame hits it and it will look the way it came out of the factory works on corsa wheel archs i do it all the time:thumb:

Thinners, fumes and a blowtorch?!
:wtf: