PDA

View Full Version : Steering Trouble

acnova
19-03-06, 05:12 PM
Hey lads, i have a set of 17" wheels. I have it -60mm on spax coilovers and on 1 inch spacers for the wide arch kit.
It used to be a 1.2 but ever since i droped in a 1.6 engine the steering seems to be all over the place. its hard to keep it straight wen i floor it and at high speed. Any one have the same problem? Is it cos my suspension is to hard r wat ???
Please help!!!:confused:

Jack
19-03-06, 05:20 PM
Big wheels will pull it all over the place, especially when lowered. It could be that you've only just noticed this because of the extra power under acceleration that the 1.6 has given you is making it more obvious...

Might be worth checking for play in the wheels and suspension just in case though - could be a wheel bearing on its way out, or worn bushes.

acnova
19-03-06, 05:25 PM
Cheers man!!!

Stuart
19-03-06, 05:34 PM
1" spacers.... FECK. thats going to tramline like a slut, and eat wheel bearings every week

mikey14sr
19-03-06, 06:22 PM
might be worth getting the geometry reset.

Adam
19-03-06, 06:25 PM
1" spacers?,Lol.
How long are you wheel bolts?

acnova
19-03-06, 06:46 PM
wat do ya mean by geometry reset? and i had to put speacialy made threaded bars into the hub and use nuts to hold them on.

Adam
19-03-06, 06:49 PM
and i had to put speacialy made threaded bars into the hub and use nuts to hold them on.
:wtf:
How do the bars stay in the hub?:wtf: Wont they just unscrew them selves?

And by geometry reset he means getting the tracking etc checked and adjusted if neccessary.

acnova
19-03-06, 07:08 PM
They tighten with the nuts and ders a gap in the bar then so they dont go in too far and hit the brakes.
Thanks for explain the geometery thing ill have to get dat looked at.

acnova
19-03-06, 07:17 PM
i dont use it to often but i do go through a fair few wheel bearings alrite. about every 4 to 6 months

ade
20-03-06, 12:01 AM
every 4-6 months!

:tard: :eek:

thats crazy - even for 17's!

You need a different set of wheels matey - with the right offset. Theres bound to be some out there somewhere...or ask the guys who've fitted wide arches what allolys they use over wide arches.

If you dont you'll need more than a set of bearings when the suspension gives up (ie tie rod and TCA bushes, track rod ends, suspension top mounts steering rack through excessive vibration from the wheels as well as other worn components). Sounds like its on the way now...

you got any pics of the car?