PDA

View Full Version : should i get this? please help!

edwards15
17-03-06, 11:55 PM
hia! i have been lookin for a (tatty) nova gsi for a while now that i could tidy up for when im drivin, i found one in my town j reg, done 95,000 it needs 2 wings doin a door needs changin and a couple little bubbly bits but the lad said that its also got a bent valve! still drivable but i would obviously need to get it done how much would that be to fix and is it a big job?i got a few friends which are really good and could probly fix it, interior is mint just not got a parcel shelf.
i can have it for about ?100 is it worth gettin?

let me know as im going to look at it tomorrow(never been to look at a nova before so any tips would be great)

thanks.:)

jbowman
18-03-06, 12:00 AM
Not worth it, still quite a few decent looking GTEs and GSis about and if its tatty on the outside jus imagine how bad it is underneath - Forget it mate.

edwards15
18-03-06, 12:05 AM
yeh see what ya mean, i'll go look at it in the light 2mo n see what its like underneath.
cheers.

jbowman
18-03-06, 12:21 AM
If I were you take a trolley jack, hammer, magnet (filler detector) and screwdriver to tap and poke about underneath around the sills/inner arches/chassis legs etc.
If you really want it it'll probably be more hassle getting it up to trip and you probably bargained for.

edwards15
18-03-06, 12:24 AM
yeh i think your right mate, i think i'll leave it, i'll go up there 2mo n tell him i been told its not worth it
if you see a nova gsi dats a good price let me know please :)
cheers

jbowman
18-03-06, 12:33 AM
I just keep an eye out on eBay for perspective buys but your best bet is looking in your local Ad Trader, always find an occasional nice example + there are always Novas for sale on here. Im sure someone on here will answer you plea mate - Goodluck any hoos.

edwards15
18-03-06, 12:36 AM
i'll keep lookin then, thanks very much mate

shy witness
18-03-06, 09:12 AM
i'd gladdly give 100 quid for it...........

gsi bumper....sideskirts........mint interior......fuel tank and fuel pump etc etc.........

its ceratinly worth 100 quid as a breaker..especially if it woz over here in n.ireland:thumb:

but i dont know if it would b worth thhe hassel 2 yourself 2 buy it...

its diffenet if u can do all the work yourself....then these sorta projectas are within reach...but relying on mates...and havin 2 pay people 2 do things on it all adds up...and is a real hassel at times..and in this instance probably wouldnt be worth it

edwards15
18-03-06, 11:12 AM
yeh thats the thing i cant really do all the work myself would have to get my mates to do it, would think about breaking it but dunno if its worth the hassel

cheers.

mikey14sr
18-03-06, 11:48 AM
Bent valve could mean full head rebuild, probably with new valve guides. The bodywork will be the real money eater though, as it might need half the floor replacing.

edwards15
18-03-06, 12:39 PM
yeh i think im gunna leave it out n wait for one in better condition, or save some more money for a minter

jamie gsi16v
18-03-06, 12:54 PM
dont listen to all these mate, its definatly worth 100 quid, u could sell it complete for more than that on ebay, a bent valve doesnt mean a head rebuild at all, it just wants a new valve grinding in, cost about 20 quid, a new door from the scrappies 20, new wings (pattern ones) about 40. solong as its half decent underneath then itl stand u at about 200 wen tidyied up? id say thats cheap, i think most ppl on here would buy it for 100 quid. and there not always rotton underneath if they are on top. go n buy it then stick it on ebay if your not happy and ul probably get 300 quid.

edwards15
18-03-06, 01:27 PM
ok mate, i'll go have a quick look at it again see what its like, let you all know what happens.
cheers.

Jack
18-03-06, 02:12 PM
Buy it and break it. You should be able to shift about 95% of the bits on ebay and make a fair wad of cash. Think about it, if you said ?30 for wheels, ?20 each for the bumpers, ?15 the sideskirts, ?50 interior, ?50ish dash, ?20 spoiler, ?20 glass, plus engine and electrical bits you've easily made your money back plus more.

mikey14sr
18-03-06, 02:22 PM
Was going to say buy to break but he sounds like a young guy whose parents might not like him having a car in pieces on the drive/garden. I know that even the worst nova can be rebuilt with time, mine is proof of that, 2 wings, 2 sills, 2 rear arches, rear panel, boot floor and drivers door all replace over 4 months working mainly at weekends. Yes the bent valve might only relate to the valve head but I was pointing out the worst case scenario, a bent stem which would probably need a new valve guide.

But if you feel up to the challenge and have the space go ahead and get it to break, you'll make some money on the parts and learn how a car's put together in the process.

edwards15
18-03-06, 03:04 PM
it just wants a new valve grinding in, cost about 20 quid

wher could that be done?

i could have it in the garage at my house in a few weeks when me brothers car is done and my dad doesnt mind me having it, is alot of work and yeh i gues your right i could teach myself and do some work, i'll try go and see it again before it gets dark and i need to check boot floor, sills etc.

cheers for the replys:thumb:

Adam
18-03-06, 03:08 PM
and there not always rotton underneath if they are on top.
Id agree there, i've seen quite a few novas with knackered doors/wings etc, but they have been solid underneath.

Id buy it for ?100, i've seen a front gsi bumper go for ?122 on ebay :thumb:
Plus you would also have parts of the engine to sell, exhaust manifold etc is good for smaller engined novas.
You would make your ?100 back easily.

edwards15
18-03-06, 03:16 PM
cheers mate, i'll try go look at it again today like i said and if i get it and dont want to tidy it up and keep it i'll sell it in bits.

cheers.

edwards15
18-03-06, 03:20 PM
also what should i look for when i go look at it?hard 2 see kinda things.

Adam
18-03-06, 03:23 PM
Battery tray, top of front turrets, rear chassis legs(around the rear springs), corners of boot floor, inner wings front and rear, sills.

Basically, everywhere underneath,Lol.

edwards15
18-03-06, 03:57 PM
lol ok mate, cheers for the help, dont know if i can go now today probly have to be tomorrow.
cheers.

mikey14sr
18-03-06, 04:12 PM
Battery tray, top of front turrets, rear chassis legs(around the rear springs), corners of boot floor, inner wings front and rear, sills.

Basically, everywhere underneath,Lol.
And every where you cant see!

edwards15
18-03-06, 04:23 PM
cheers boys hope its not a mess underneath wouldnt mind gettin it.
cheers.

edwards15
19-03-06, 05:06 PM
checked over it today and the boot has already been sealed and the engine bay is in really good condition tops of the turrets are perfect couple of little patches in the battery try sills seem good also think im gunna pick it up next week some time, said he wants ?150 for it but i said no stood my ground n got him down to ?125
pretty pleased with it.

mikey14sr
19-03-06, 06:17 PM
Good look, sounds as though it's not as bad as some of us thought it might be.

edwards15
19-03-06, 06:24 PM
cheers mate, might post some pics up of it when its done so it shows from start to finish but that wont be for a while yet.
thanks.

shy witness
19-03-06, 08:07 PM
good luck with it

i'd av certainly gave 125 quid for it

lookin 4ward 2 seein the pictures

edwards15
19-03-06, 08:26 PM
yeh i will get pics up 1 day be a while yet tho like i said gunna be a slow progress.

jamie gsi16v
20-03-06, 12:50 AM
well done m8, i told u it would be worth it not like a few of these trying to put you off! good luck with the car and if u need any info or advise dont hesitate to ask, jamie

Welsh Dan
20-03-06, 12:58 AM
I'll be in Wrexham the week after this/next(7 days from this post), I'm not as knowledgable as most people here, but if you need any advice or pics taken, let me know :thumb:

jamie gsi16v
20-03-06, 01:01 AM
pics taken, what for, hes picking the car up next week? advice, whats this site for and how can u give advice if your not knowledgable? go to bed lol

Welsh Dan
20-03-06, 08:53 AM
Good point, was'nt thinking straight lol.

edit: just re-read my post now that i'm more concious, pics taken: because they were requested here, I'll be near him once he's got the car, and by the knowledgable statement, i meant I can't rebuild and fit a C20LET, but I do know what "that noise" or "that quirk" and possibly "the trick to doing that" might be. :thumb: On another note, my maxpower haynes manual pitched up today, so I should know more soon™.

jbowman
20-03-06, 01:09 PM
well done m8, i told u it would be worth it not like a few of these trying to put you off!
I wasnt trying to put him off, I just didnt want him to make the same mistake as of a few of us have done, bought a Nova at a bargain price to find out it would cost a fortune to make through the MoT.

As hes gone and had a propper look at the Nova & found its not to bad, all the luck to you eddy.

edwards15
20-03-06, 04:10 PM
thanks people and i should be alright for taking pics and advise but thanks anyway mate! also really apprectiate the help from jamie, i will post pics up after a few weeks showin how it was at the start and how far i have got.
thanks ppl!:)

edwards15
22-03-06, 09:02 PM
picked the car up today! sat outside my house now:)needs a handbrake cable aswell but thats not goin to cost much is it

jamie gsi16v
22-03-06, 11:35 PM
definatly not mate, enjoy

edwards15
23-03-06, 12:07 AM
cheers mate....will get pics up in a few weeks opefully:)

edwards15
24-03-06, 09:55 PM
got a few pics of it not the best coz it was gettin dark i will get some more soonhia people!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/EDWARDS118/ADSNOVA008.jpghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/EDWARDS118/ADSNOVA009.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/EDWARDS118/ADSNOVA010.jpghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/EDWARDS118/ADSNOVA015.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/EDWARDS118/ADSNOVA016.jpg

shy witness
24-03-06, 10:00 PM
2 quote a phrase often used

'i've seen worse'

good thing about it is that it seems all standard .and all together

deffiantly worth a rebuild/tidy up

just have a good look round it mate......

all the usual places............rear chassis/spring mounts....front crossmember..inner wings.etc etc. b4 u commit in2 it 2 much as i think u said on another thread that u wouldnt be able 2 do the work yourself.

coz things can get costly if u ain't doin them urself.........

edwards15
24-03-06, 10:07 PM
luckily mate i have got my brother who was a panel beater and is gret with engines so he can help alot got a few mates who can re-spray it already got a polish bloke who works for my mates dad said inludin buyin the rear arches he will do them for ?70! but im gunna wait untill i got all the other parts like doors etc....then when i get all the parts i'll get them on and he's gunna do any weldin and paint the whole car at a very good price.
also already checked over it and it's in great conidition couple of very small bits of rust cumin thru but i can do those bits myself.

cheers.

shy witness
24-03-06, 10:37 PM
thats great mate............

thats the way u want it.........

and all the best of luck with it .........

make it a good un

edwards15
24-03-06, 10:53 PM
thanks very much mate, i'll make it a good un, only things i want to do is get it all realy nice and tidy no bodykit just how it is same for the inside just cd player, straight thru exhaust, lowerd about 60mm and wheels which im not sure on yet was thinkin polished speedlines but i got plenty of time to decide.

thanks again.

jbowman
24-03-06, 11:59 PM
Thats tidy!! I got the impression it was tired on the the outside but she looks all there - good buy!

edwards15
25-03-06, 12:20 AM
thanks pal!

she is abit on the outside the doors need changin, rear arches need doin front wings are abit bubbly so im gunna change them aswell.

cheers.

edwards15
28-03-06, 09:26 PM
right then today i bought a few things for the interior

2 more headrests(to go in the back)
interior carpets(to try and dye black)
new glovebox
new headlight
pipercross induction kit and cleanin spray
parcel shelf
and a couple of little other plastic bits n bobs

think i done alright to get all that for ?30
should be goin 2 pick up both doors and wings on saturday aswell
sorry i aint got any more pics yet but like have said its gunna be slow progress

jbowman
28-03-06, 10:28 PM
You got a bargain there Ed, dont hang about do you?

edwards15
28-03-06, 10:36 PM
nope not realy when i see somthin at a good price i try my best to get it

edwards15
10-04-06, 04:57 PM
picked up both front wings and both doors at the weekend, progress is still very slow but i said it would be, got a lad coming round to give me a quote on doin all the welding and a full respray in silk violet soon and im going to pick up a gsi engine at the weekend because we think the piston has got a hole in it, the engine im going to get is only ?100 and done 70k with no problems so its not too bad of a price.
thanks.

craig green
10-04-06, 05:01 PM
I know of a GSi that needs body work & putting back together.

You can get a head for peanuts if it was a valve. Ive got 2 spare.

edwards15
10-04-06, 10:04 PM
a mate said i need a bottom end but rather than find out whats wrong with this engine i'll just get it out, sell it and buy another one with no problems.