PDA

View Full Version : False floors

Anonymous
30-12-01, 01:52 PM
Can anybody help me with any info on building a false floor. I've got a fearless roll cage, no back seats and want to tidy it all up. I got a quote from Sextons in Bath for ?200, just for the floor, no ICE. I thought this was a bit much so I thought i'd have a go myself. Something like Martin Kelson's would look good. Shall I go and grab some MDF and do it myself? Just the basics on how it's done would be cool. Any help wuold be greatly appreciated.

We like a smooth behind

Anonymous
30-12-01, 05:12 PM
heres a detailed method;

1, get mdf
2, cut and shape mdf till your happy and it fits
3, cover in nice stuff that you like
4, JOB DONE!

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

Anonymous
31-12-01, 01:21 AM
ohh Cambridge I just love your replies sometimes m8. Right I?ve never done this b4, but if I was going to do it I?d use the original boot carpet as a template cut into some MDF.you will find that you will need some batons of wood all the way down the boot build and this might even have to be different thickness where the back seats used to be, compared to the boot floor itself just to get it sitting level this will also allow for the fitment of speakers as the false floor would be raised from the original floor and the magnets wont then touch the metal floor. I would sound proof your car floor as well, as your gonna get a lot of road noise from the back if you don?t, also cut out slots in the MDF for your rally harnesses to go through if you have them?? I only say this as you say you have a roll cage, I would also drill through the false floor into the original floor and self tap it in place (coz you don?t want half a ton of MDF hitting you in the back of the head if you decide to see if your roll cage works, then as Cambridge says cut out holes for your speakers and cover in carpet.

web site: www.perpetualbliss.net
E mail: v5uk@perpetualbliss.net

Anonymous
31-12-01, 01:33 AM
your reply is just a very long winded way of writing what i did :P

Anonymous
31-12-01, 11:53 AM
he has a point steve

LOL

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
01-01-02, 07:55 PM
okay I'll shut up then. LOL :'>

web site: www.perpetualbliss.net
E mail: v5uk@perpetualbliss.net

Anonymous
02-01-02, 01:47 AM
one thing about false floors..... dont trust them!!!

Anonymous
02-01-02, 09:22 AM
very good point pag.

i was just about to walk over a rickety floor in my loft and u saved me.

cheers big ears

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
02-01-02, 10:33 AM
i made a false floor in the back of my nova and carpeted it all out. looks great - amp etc all hidden, loads of room under it to store crap. The disadvantges of it are -Very noisy (i didn't soundproof), rattles a bit (My carpentry skills are lacking) and the front seats don't go back flat anymore because the floor is the hight of the boot lip.
But i think i like it more than having back seats (people asking for lifts, rubbing arches!)

Anonymous
03-01-02, 04:12 PM
well personally i think that the description cambridge cave was pretty damn good.
a little abrupt, but you get the idea.

buy mdf, cut mdf, fit mdf, cover mdf.

The name is misleading - I am not wise, or wooden.

Anonymous
03-01-02, 04:13 PM
well personally i think that the description cambridge cave was pretty damn good.
a little abrupt, but you get the idea.

buy mdf, cut mdf, fit mdf, cover mdf.

Anonymous
03-01-02, 06:09 PM
oops... how did that happen?

Anonymous
04-01-02, 10:42 PM
Cambridge ought to write a new version of the Haynes :O

To remove engine:

undo bolts
remove engine

:D

Anonymous
05-01-02, 02:55 AM
to be honest the haynes manual as it is, isnt far from my description :p

Refitting is the reverse of removal. lots of the time it just aint that simple. Its easy to take something appart, but putting it back together requires a hint of thought lol

Anonymous
05-01-02, 08:13 PM
judicious manipulation is a term used in they haynes manual alot. they should just put "just whack it till it falls off"

Anonymous
05-01-02, 09:57 PM
lol....true....very true! :p

Anonymous
18-01-02, 12:35 PM
lol, Actualey that term can be used in MANY diffrent ways :D
.:AphiD:.

Anonymous
18-01-02, 12:37 PM
lol, Actualey that term can be used in MANY diffrent ways :D
.:AphiD:.

Anonymous