PDA

View Full Version : Quiet exhausts

Iain
15-03-06, 02:15 PM
Couldn't find any recent posts or useful information from the search so...

I've decided my standard exhaust looks a bit, well, small. I'm thinking of just getting a new backbox, pretty much for looks over performance (I know my 1.2 is never going to be a beast). Can anybody recommend a good quiet exhaust manufacturer? The last thing I want is a stupidly loud thing making me look like an idiot.

Cheers :thumb:

novamadman
15-03-06, 02:35 PM
i had a 14sri with just a magnex back box. looked nice and a slight slight drone off it but barely anything

shane

SuperNova!
15-03-06, 02:37 PM
But there again I had a magnex backbox on my 1.2 and it sounded stupidly loud?

jbowman
15-03-06, 02:43 PM
I know its not big and its not clever, but if you want quiet just put on an exhaust tip on your standard box if you're on a budget - even a Peco 2 is quiet & dirt cheap.
Alternatively Powerflow could make a custom exhaust & quieten it, but thats not too cheap.

novamadman
15-03-06, 02:44 PM
lol duno if there is different types or not but this one wasnt loud at all

Stanley
15-03-06, 02:58 PM
i had a magnex back box on my 1.2i and you could hardly hear it.

well compared the peco powermaster i had before-hand hehe

then i de-catted it and it made a bit of a rip.

if yours doesnt already have a CAT then id recommend maybe fitting a system off a 1.2i with a CAT

Iain
15-03-06, 03:04 PM
if yours doesnt already have a CAT then id recommend maybe fitting a system off a 1.2i with a CAT

Embarrassingly I don't know. It's a '91 1.2 Merit (carb). I'll look in to a quietened Powerflow exhaust, depending on how "not too cheap" it really is. :p

Stanley
15-03-06, 03:11 PM
get to a scrappy and whip a nova sytem off FROM the manifold (downpipe, cat and mid section)

it will fit straight on

id recommend fitting new manifold>downpipe screws and also flame ring. (just for the sake of it)

id have thought that would quieten it down alot

Adam
15-03-06, 03:21 PM
Magnex are usually pretty quiet, but they sound nice.

But with your car being a 1.2carb, you have no cat etc, so theres not much in the exhaust system to reduce noise.

You could barely hear my sportex backbox on my 1.2i, but my full system,de-cat and 4 branch is pretty loud now, sounds cool tho.

LUV2XLR8
15-03-06, 05:11 PM
i got a gte standard back box... is nice a quoiet when starting up and driving slow and gives a nice noise when giving it some ;)

craig green
15-03-06, 05:20 PM
std rear box with a weld on scorpion tail trim would get my vote.

Iain
15-03-06, 05:58 PM
std rear box with a weld on scorpion tail trim would get my vote.

Talking from experience? Pics? :)

Are the standard GTE/GSi backboxes any different looking to lower spec models?

JSeymour
15-03-06, 06:18 PM
dont put a cat on! it will go even slower!

GTE back box comes out abit more and has a chrome bit on the end, there not loud on them so shouldnt make a big difference to a 1.2.

Nath
15-03-06, 06:27 PM
ive got a full stainless system on my 1.2 carb and i had the company make it to how i wanted it to sound, cost me ?150

LUV2XLR8
15-03-06, 08:36 PM
my gte back box sits nicely under the bumper with my standard system.
its a walker i think

Ste L
17-03-06, 12:41 PM
i had a magnex on my sri, had both backbox and full system, and they both quiet, mate had one on his sr that was quiet, but another mate had one on his sr and it was loud as ****, but i think his baffles had gone

got the magnex on my vavler now, its quiet when drving normal, but floor it and it roars

craig green
17-03-06, 01:54 PM
Talking from experience? Pics? :)

Are the standard GTE/GSi backboxes any different looking to lower spec models?

Nah, but Scorpion sell the chrome tail trims to weld on.

dannyb
17-03-06, 04:10 PM
If you want to impress the car behind with a bigger exhaust, just get a clip on. 10 odd quid off ebay. Done. No need to upset the insurers and no need to upset the neigbours. People will laugh at you with a clip on though because its about as low and Halfrauds Ripspeed as you can go. Keep it standard (its not the size that counts...) or just use a GTE backbox, bit bigger, doesnt cost the earth to get one either. And wont make you look like you're trying too hard.