PDA

View Full Version : Air box on a carb engine

autox
15-03-06, 11:36 AM
Hi,

I remember a post last year (which i can no longer find) when i was asking about airflow, K&N's and stuff like that.

My problem is that i have got a carb engine so have the K&N filter which will suckin all the hot air, losing me performance.

One guy suggested i get an air box of a cav or something, which i can then add a cold air feed from the fron of the car, and have a different type of K&N on that.

I know i'm not the most descriptive, but was wondering if any one knew what type of car this air box was off, i think it was a cav, but not sure.

Cheers

Michael

orange_andy
15-03-06, 03:24 PM
how about dont even bother!!! last car i had with standard air box, no diff at all to when i added a FORCED cold air feed not even 1mph faster, all they add is looks bum all to performance, nothing that youd notice anyways,

autox
15-03-06, 06:41 PM
Its for an autocross car (kinda rally like car) and the engine gets very, very hot as it is all maximum revs. I just think the engine sucking in all that hot air isnt good for it. as the K&N sits right on top of the carb so is in prime place for all the hotair, and cold air has mor oxygen in it aiding better combustion, therefore quicker laptime, condisering i lost one race by 0.2 seconds last year, evey bit counts :)

cheers

Michael

Adam
15-03-06, 06:57 PM
Cold air is denser, so the colder the air is, the more air that can be fitted into the cylinder equalling more fuel, and more power.
If the air is very cold tho, you could get carb freezing.

You could re-fit the OE airbox, and get a cold air feed into the front of the airbox.

CP
16-03-06, 10:05 PM
I dont know much modding you are able to get away with but:
1. Try exhaust wrap - one of its main benefits is to lower under bonnet temps and its supposed to give a bit more torque but that could be just bollox.
2. There is supposed to be a low pressure area in front of the windscreen where cold air is drawn in for the cabin ventilation fan. Try cutting away the firewall/bulkhead so that cold air can travel into the carb.
3 or what about a bonnet scoop just above the carb?

craig green
17-03-06, 12:27 PM
Bonnet scoop sounds the best bet.

Scooby job.

Stuart
17-03-06, 01:57 PM
PM garyc. he might be able to help. hes does some kind of autocross/grass track racing (sorry gary cant remember the exact discipline lol) and has an excellent inlet setup.