PDA

View Full Version : my rear end

lj
14-03-06, 11:39 AM
sat nite i went steaming into around about that normally at 60 i'd do with ease, with a little grit on the road the **** end swing pout and i ended up the wrong way, now my mate says hsi convinced it was the grit that made us go but i'm so so sure..... as later that nite i went into another corner fast with extra grip stuff down and again the **** went but i controlled it.
alittle about my nova so u can think about it more.... its on yokos 205,50 ,15s... lowered 80mm , rear ends as stiff as possible, full cage, front a nd rear strut braces, also has vectra gsi front brakes but drums on the rear....

now i'm not convinced it was a case of going to fast... it broke loose so quick....luckly i had enough room on the round-about to run off a little avoiding damaging my car or anyone elses!

anyone having problems with the rear end on there car....
mine also handels like **** in the rain,,,but normally in the dry its great!

Welsh Dan
14-03-06, 11:46 AM
Probably grit/water.

Stop driving like a w***er then, and you won't have such problems.

projectcoshanova
14-03-06, 11:48 AM
lol back end sliding out? yeh thats nova,s all over

orange_andy
14-03-06, 11:52 AM
you dont get any rubbing on the arches with them tires?

LUV2XLR8
14-03-06, 01:01 PM
try it again at 80 :D

lj
14-03-06, 01:20 PM
rubs atiny bit...changing the tires this week. thinkit mite be to stiff!

Iain
14-03-06, 01:25 PM
Stop driving like a w***er then, and you won't have such problems.

On a nice country road in the evening, for example, it wouldn't really be driving like a ****er.

lj
14-03-06, 01:34 PM
was going fast but weren't driving like a ****er....just enjoying a eveming drive...simple as that.... what the cars been built for....fun!

womble sri
14-03-06, 01:37 PM
yeah there is no point building a fast nova if your not going to drive it properly within reason. i rolled mine after the back came out you didnt let off or anything stupid like that? could be un even tyres shagged shocks or a number of chassis related things if it does it all the time. test it in an open area, not maccy d's car park though!

SRlew
14-03-06, 01:45 PM
iv only ever lost mine once. it was wet and the front wheels just started spinning so it wouldnt turn, then they gripped and caused the back end to slide out so corrected it but too much as i lost the back end again then i caught that and carried on.

that was a scary 5secs i can tell you! and i aint been driving long which made it feel worse as i had not much expierience etc.

does your car handle alright with the back being lowered by 80mm, cause i wanna do mine but maybe a bit more.

SuperNova!
14-03-06, 03:01 PM
I would think it would rub its nuts off with 205/50s on especially lowered 80mil.

Grit does make the road more slippery than normal though.

lj
14-03-06, 03:19 PM
they touch the rear arch a little....i've had them ground back to just the edge though, handels like a dream in the dry with good road surfaces, think it was a combination of things that let mine go.

gonna replace the rear shocks and get new tyres...and try again...and see want happens

burgo
14-03-06, 06:11 PM
do you have standard shocks on the back??

lj
14-03-06, 08:37 PM
nah some uprated things...but thik one maybe be shagged... thinking of geting the custom koni shortened ones ...anyone tried these?

russ150485
15-03-06, 08:59 AM
personey id say there is drivers and then there is screwdrivers!!!!!!! sounds like a problem with the rear drums.

lj
15-03-06, 01:02 PM
werne't braking though?

craig green
15-03-06, 08:12 PM
Problem in the rain is your Yoko's. Period.

Salt on the roads is ideal for keeping the ice at bay, but when it becomes wet, its far more dangerous than the ice itself.

I wrote off my Astra GTE 16v at low(ish) speed because I underestimated the grip levels in those conditions.

Ive always preached how dangerous salt is & I got caught out.