PDA

View Full Version : Forced induction project 3 questions.....

beavy69
11-03-06, 10:56 PM
Hey all. Doing design work on my latest budget project: "budget turbo."

No not a stupid noise simulator.

I intend to fit a bank of four 43mm mikuni carbs to my 1.3L and blast air into them using a 40cc 2 stroke leaf blower (air @220+mph) which I will mount in the battery well poking the controls for it through the bulkhead to the cab.

I will then replace the battery with a big diesel one (as my complex security additions sap power after a couple of days) and put it in the boot end for weight balance (protected in a case of course).

QUESTIONS:

1) Should I feed the air into each carb using 'Y' shaped splitters or should I make up a plenum?

2) To connect the carbs to the head I have herd of people using samco type hoses between a sawn off Nova inlet manifold and the carbs. Has anyone done that? Obviously I would have to file the inner face of the manifold tubes to remove the step.

3) What about a dump valve, could I use one? - Is it just a question of fitting it to a bypass tube off the main hose from the leaf blower?

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ON FITMENT ETC? - OH will I need an electric fuel pump as well as/ instead on the original mechanical one?

any help/info would be great,

thanks.

General Baxter
11-03-06, 11:05 PM
sorry but what have you been smoking? lol

beavy69
11-03-06, 11:14 PM
NOS same as everyone elselol

nova---chris
11-03-06, 11:17 PM
id reccomend a vidal sassoon air dryer instead of leaf blower.
it has far more control and also a hot air / cold air feed!
top idea mind
:thumb:

CP
11-03-06, 11:18 PM
lol lol

I have heard of some half baked **** headed ideas in my time but this is 1 of the best

lol lol

CP
11-03-06, 11:21 PM
Tell you what - try sticking the spout of the blower in your mouth so we can see if what comes out of your **** makes more sense:thumb:

beavy69
11-03-06, 11:25 PM
Yeah great comments guys but has anyone got any serious answers?

General Baxter
11-03-06, 11:29 PM
Yeah great comments guys but has anyone got any serious answers?

i dont think you will get one as its a **** idea and will never work,
can just think what you will tell the insurance company, yah man iv got a leaf blower turbo! lol

CP
11-03-06, 11:35 PM
Sorry mate - no offence but the mental image of some berk driving down the high street with a two stroke leaf blower razzing away in his battery compartment twiddling with its controls whilst trying to drive, in the vain attempt to simulate the effects of the cold air thrust the same as if you were driving along at 220mph is too comical not to invite some kind of comedy commentlol

I mean just imagine if you get pulled by the law - they gonna wet themselves when they find out you got a garden leaf blower strapped under the bonnet- its hilarious!lol

beavy69
11-03-06, 11:37 PM
I was thinking they would find it so funny they would let me off lol

General Baxter
11-03-06, 11:39 PM
http://www.turbonator.com/index.html lol

beavy69
11-03-06, 11:47 PM
Yeah well thats obviously a hairdryer, far inferior to a leaf blower.

check it out: http://videos.streetfire.net/search/leaf%20blower/0.htm

click the first leaf blower vid.

And I do intend to connect the blower throttle to the car throttle so it's progressive like a turbo and so i'm not fookin around with controls.

jamie gsi16v
12-03-06, 12:38 AM
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
what an incredibly **** idea, get a life! your gona become a laughing stock!
:gay: :tosser:

beavy69
12-03-06, 12:43 AM
lol you posted that on a Saturday night and told me to get a life lol

i'll be sure to join you in "the fast lane someday" when I do though.

jamie gsi16v
12-03-06, 01:05 AM
lol you posted that on a Saturday night and told me to get a life lol

i'll be sure to join you in "the fast lane someday" when I do though.

sunday morning :cuckoo: 280bhp c20let nova vs 1.3 leafblower lmfao, cya down the pod at pvs lmfao! good look mate you might produce 70bhp if your lucky brum brum!!!

jbowman
12-03-06, 01:28 AM
Umm the American keep going on about electronic turbos/superchargers as Baxters link shows - parently they do work, but nowhere near as a true turbo beast.

http://www.rse.co.uk/turbozet.htm
http://www.esuperchargers.com/
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight/
http://gaprojects.com/supercharger/supercharger.htm

You'd probably be the first person in the UK to have one, or maybe this kind of product only swallowed by stupid Americans.

I'd have to see it to belive it.

Im happy enough with my TD Nova - wouldnt buy any of this sh*t.

Stuart
12-03-06, 09:17 AM
you say "budget" but this would cost a lot in those pissy little bits that you would need so in all fairness you might aswell do it "properly" as it would only cost about ?2K from what i can make out if you start off with a small capacity engine and use the 1.6head and have the std pistons ceramic coated.

im not saying dont do your idea but its not going to gain you much if anything.. and will cost shed loads in fuel+2stroke oil etc lol

At work we make "electronic turbos" for want of a better name and they genuinely do make a difference but cost nearly as much as a normal turbo for one off costs, and are about a year off proper production.

big_wig_074
12-03-06, 09:32 AM
the leaf blower DOES work! but forget about fitting a dump valve,you require vacuum etc etc produced from a turbo,or an electronically triggered dump valve,like gay supercharged car drivers sometimes use! no point anyway as they are useless inventions. you would be best off getting the carbs attached to an air box of some sort,however,thinking about it,carbs not designed to run forced induction are crap,so scrap that idea,the floats wont work,youll have no fuel etc etc. get a set of bike throttle bodies,or get a carb from an r5 turbo or other carb turbo model car. OR just run some carbs!

Stuart
12-03-06, 09:57 AM
lmao so superchargers are "gay" ??? oookkk best tell the V8 boys that

General Baxter
12-03-06, 10:02 AM
lmao so superchargers are "gay" ??? oookkk best tell the V6 boys that

yeah ill suck the little boy in lol

RJM25R
12-03-06, 10:47 AM
lol I'll be sure to tell my bosses at VW that Supercharging is gay! I'm sure that you are so right, i mean of course a company like vw spending 22million euro's developing a super+turbocharged 1.4 engine (168bhp!) is just silly when they coulda popped to the local B&Q for a couple of garden leaf blowers!

Please tell me this joker doesn't have a LICENCE never mind a nova.

F3ck me! No wonder we (nova drivers) have a bad name!

LUV2XLR8
12-03-06, 12:01 PM
what ive one before is get an oxi tank with i bike inner tube over it going to the carb, turn the fuel pressure all the way up and turn the oxi tank on, car goes like stink but will blow up after a while!
good laffif your after a shell and not the engine :D

General Baxter
12-03-06, 12:10 PM
brudddddddddddd wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

lol

beavy69
12-03-06, 03:50 PM
Ok fair play most of you are shooting the idea down coz it does sound very stupid and lets face it, it is. I can’t disagree with much of what has been said but you're all talking about it so I may as well continue my case.

As jbowman and Stu said there are people that take these electric superchargers seriously but to get the same power from a 12V or 24V battery as from a 2 stroke engine will mean bigger bucks. You will need allot of battery power though and many of these electric motors wont take being run at full speed for long.

The amount of battery power needed will add more weight unless you get some of these new light batteries but then the cost goes up again. So the weight will be about the same, as a whole leaf blower only weighs between 5and 10kg, strip off all the trim, and stuff only there for that application, and it will stay that weight when you add the ducting etc for the car.

Stu, if it was going to cost me anywhere near 2k I would give up right now. Fair point about the fuel but its gonna go up a bit with most performance things like bigger carbs. I don’t know how much it will cost exactly but I would think no more than ?200. I’m not doing it till the summer but I’ll put a thread up when I have done it, hopefully with some modest performance figures.:(

Some other fantastic benifits :D :

- It will sound interesting either way, maybe good if you can't hear the leaf blower over the car.
- If you can it may confuse idiots on mopeds.
- I can have a mini exhaust out the side of the car.
- I could detach it to dry my stuff after going swimming/surfing.
- I can say i've got a twin engine carlol

jbowman
12-03-06, 04:02 PM
If you do go ahead with it - it would be different to say the least, but I hope we'll get to see some pics of the conversion.
Personally I think it would be best if it worked part time, say like for a race or sprint.

beavy69
12-03-06, 04:23 PM
I totally agree. It would be a waste to have it on all the time. That is why I'll poke the controlls through to the cab so I can switch it on and off.

big_wig_074
12-03-06, 04:46 PM
lmao so superchargers are "gay" ??? oookkk best tell the V8 boys that
er....superchargers arent gay!
the people who put dump valves on supercharged cars are!just to clear that up! im currently involved in a twin charged project and am well aware of how usefull they are!
however,turbos are far better on v8s!:D
www.turbomustangs.com (http://www.turbomustangs.com)
:thumb:

big_wig_074
12-03-06, 05:16 PM
.....but,if you want cheap horsepower that you need to refill(the blower will need 2 stroke) and something you will ACTUALLY get insured on then why not get a nitrous kit?far easier to do and insure and actually road legal! im not sure what would happen seeing as the fuel tank of you blower would be above a 800+degree celsius exhaust!but i bet it would look pretty from a fireworks point of view! or get some parts off a r5 turbo or suchlike and get them modified to fit,wouldnt be overly hard or expensive

Stuart
12-03-06, 05:23 PM
he seems dead set on only spending ?200 so nitrous is out of the window on this one....

i have listed the bits for tuboing on the cheap in the past.

1.6 mpi head (faced eg skimmed a tiny tiny ammount)
purchase/make an exhaust manifold for a T2
a T2
decent nick bottom end
1.6 inlet manifold and TB etc.
Mappable ecu (could make a megasquirt to do it if you really want it cheap. Im working on an even cheaper option for MS)
boost piping etc
Ceramic coated pistons.

that will work for 1.2/1.3/1.4 engines.. if its for a 1.6 then LC pistons are a deffo

big_wig_074
12-03-06, 05:34 PM
or....r5 turbo exhaust manifold and turbo,then adapt it to fit to the head,same with the carb and inlet manifolds (you will require a decent welder who knows his onions!)then a r5 intercooler or similar,a better flowing pump(again r5),get the standard pistons skimmed for lower comp(or get a thicker copper headgasket made up) and bodge up some boost pipes from what you find in a scrappy!
or even better,go buy a r5 turbo engine,or just an r5!
this is extremely pikey and NOT what id do,but its a suggestion that COULD be done!

beavy69
12-03-06, 07:16 PM
im not sure what would happen seeing as the fuel tank of you blower would be above a 800+degree celsius exhaust!

Not sure what you mean by this but 1) The actual car fuel tank is right by the exhaust anyway.
2) The blower will be in the battery well, nowhere near the exhaust. I may even relocate the tank for that to the other side of the engine bay behind the bulkhead.

Stuart
13-03-06, 08:07 AM
the R5 exhaust ports wont really line uip right so for the cost and effort involved in modding it you might aswell pay ?250ish for the "right" manifold in the first place.... im all for modding other bits to fit but when there is the easy option infront of you then it makes sense.