PDA

View Full Version : Out of control BMW - BBC News

jbowman
11-03-06, 06:47 PM
I found this while having my dose of weekend news - pretty scary yet funny.
Heres the full audio story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/nb_wm_fs.stm?nbram=1&news=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nol_storyid=4796468

Kevin Nicolles's BMW would not slow down as the accelerator jammed full on, it kept accelerating up to 135mph along the A1 for 60 miles.

Ste L
11-03-06, 07:06 PM
why didn't the ****er just turn the ignition off and put it in neutral and brake?

jbowman
11-03-06, 07:10 PM
On the audio report (link) they say how he'd lose all cotrol of the car and he was afraid to drive without poweresteering incase he lost control so he just carried on and stoved it on the next roundabout.

rednova
11-03-06, 07:13 PM
i would have just turned the ignition off - he says he didnt because he'd lose everything but the a1 aint exactly twisty - fair play to the bloke - glad hes ok sounds as if he was very lucky!!!! head on into a roundabout at 130 mph, brave man

Phil

mikey14sr
11-03-06, 07:16 PM
He could have tried lifting the accelerator pedal, christ I drove my SR all the way back from PVS last year with the same problem thanks to a bent throttle linkage, didn't have any trouble slowing or stopping. Although he says the car is an automatic, surely you should still be able to get into neutral at speed? or do they have some sort of lock on them to avoid killing the gearbox?

LUV2XLR8
11-03-06, 07:30 PM
lazy git he should have bought a manual. much more fun! still fair play 130mph on public roads and still has his licence, bang on :)

mikey14sr
11-03-06, 07:44 PM
If he manages to keep his lisence, how many people will be using this problem as an excuse to get away with it? Imo he should be banned for knowingly using an un-roadworthy car.

Welsh Dan
11-03-06, 08:44 PM
Doesnt EU law require steering to have mechanical components incase of power failure, same with brakes?

What an idiot. Kill the ignition and hold it straight ffs.

General Baxter
11-03-06, 09:20 PM
Kill the ignition and hold it straight ffs.

your forgetting one factor tho, hes a BMW driver, the island he crashed on he was taking the first left, he still did not put his indicator on lol

Lee
11-03-06, 09:32 PM
your forgetting one factor tho, hes a BMW driver, the island he crashed on he was taking the first left, he still did not put his indicator on lol

PMSL, and he was flashing everyone out of the way!

IMO the bloke is a complete moron, he decided it was too dangerous to kill the ignition (at which point the drag of the engine would have slowed him down), but instead much safer to blast up the A1 and attempt to take a roundabout at mach 0.6. What a ****ing rocket scientist!

The bloke looks like hes a bit of a twit anyway, just a good job he didnt slam into anyone.

Welsh Dan
11-03-06, 10:13 PM
If I was driving a car that started acceleration on its own, as soon as I could drive straight-ish i'd kill the ignition and slam the anchors on. I would definately not have let it exceed 60ish.

I say again, what an idiot.

Lee
11-03-06, 10:25 PM
I just bothered to listen to the audio..

( i read about it on another news site earlier http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13513174,00.html... se what i mean, looks a bit of a silly billy to me)

..and even the racing driver said that with the ignition turned off the steering would effectively lock! What planet is she on??

RobMarriott
11-03-06, 10:48 PM
surely if he'd turned the car off for a few seconds, then turned the key one click, the steering lock would be off, at 135mph the steering wouldnt be heavy and he could have slowed it down and still had ful control of it?

Rach
11-03-06, 11:15 PM
surely if he'd turned the car off for a few seconds, then turned the key one click, the steering lock would be off, at 135mph the steering wouldnt be heavy and he could have slowed it down and still had ful control of it?

exactly what i thought... idiot...

he looks like a tw*t anyway!

jbowman
11-03-06, 11:33 PM
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1387572.jpg

True - it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to stop the car, but here he is.
I think in this case you may judge a book by its cover.

Welsh Dan
12-03-06, 12:37 AM

Anyone with half a brain cell would have done it long before reaching 135.

Lee
12-03-06, 12:09 PM
No steering lock engages until you remove the key!

In his case he probably would have and put it in his pocket.

Jack
12-03-06, 05:48 PM
RISE OF THE MACHINES! (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/07/satanic_renault/)

But yes, he's a knob. So he spanked his car up to 135mph and lost it on a roundabout. w00t lol

Lee H
13-03-06, 10:19 AM
I'm more surprised at a 318i reaching those speeds :roll: :wtf:

Philsutton
13-03-06, 06:16 PM
what a tosser, how am i possible to move a car around the garage with power steering when the engine is off. Simple really the steering wheel still connects to the wheels. People like him deserve to crash at high speed, its called natural selection, although in this case he didnt kill himself which is a shame.

Ash C
13-03-06, 06:58 PM
wouldn't the power steering pump still be turning even if the ignition have been off?? all i can say is wot a b**l end.

Iain
13-03-06, 07:28 PM
Yeah I thought exactly the same as what has already been said when I heard this on the news. But yes, he does look a little slow.

projectcoshanova
13-03-06, 11:31 PM
i read what u all said but erm if u thought u had a problem by putting it out of gear or turning the ignition off id handbrake it b4 it sped up and head it on to a railing or somethin dont think id go to 135mph and head into a roundabout thats kinda lookin for death if u ask me lol

jbowman
14-03-06, 12:17 AM
I thoguth about that, but if it was my car I couldnt face driving it up against a crash barrier to slow it down + what would the insurance people say? would they pay out?

Philsutton
14-03-06, 05:26 PM
crashing at 135mph into a roundabout will casue more damage though

Dave
14-03-06, 06:42 PM
:roll: waits for the court case as he now sues bmw

Philsutton
14-03-06, 06:46 PM
that will be along the same lines as the inbred tossers that sue'd mcdonalds for making them fat, dont eat every ****ing meal as chips you overweight retards.

Jack
14-03-06, 06:51 PM
lmfao, reminds me of a guy at work - fat b*stard that he is, sat on his chair one day and it collapsed under his weight. So he attempts to sue the MOD for not knowing how heavy he is :roll:

...which then prompted the Office Manager to send a form round for people over 17st to sign. Which was accessible by everyone - so we could all see who the fatties were lol

Lozzie C
15-03-06, 09:39 AM
It's all a loada bull.
It isn't possible.
Seriously.

dannyb
15-03-06, 10:52 AM
No steering lock engages until you remove the key!

In his case he probably would have and put it in his pocket.

He probably thought he would have to take the keys out and display his BMW keyring on the dash in case any girls were looking....
Just saw him on the morning show, what a gimp. He has peroxide hair, you could just imagine him acting all cool when he was driving normally, and anyway, how does a peasant moron like that afford a newish BMW? He was crying on the TV and I thought you f***ing wimp. 135 is nothing in a BMW, even without power steering. Hes got muscles unless its all fat. You can take my BMW 730 out of drive when the ignition is on, though its advisable to do it at standstill! When you click the ignition off one click, steering lock does not come on which he could have done. Brakes are heavy without assistance but hey, no probs there if you arent Paul Robinson. You cannot turn the key if the car is left in drive, but thats not necessary here. He should have whacked it into neutral and jammed the anchors on. Either that or he was just lying and wanted to be a hooligan AND wants the money from TV and mag appearances. Sorry for such a long rant, his hair makes me angry.

Jack
15-03-06, 06:59 PM
Sorry for such a long rant, his hair makes me angry.
LMFAO lol lol lol

Ash C
21-03-06, 08:30 PM
i read in the paper on saturday, that BMW and the police had both inspected the car and found nothing at all wrong with it!!!!lol lol lol

Donova
21-03-06, 11:36 PM
Perhaps his right foot went to sleep,_____ Along with his brain!:roll: :cuckoo:

jbowman
22-03-06, 12:08 AM
Un f**kin lucky mate!! Mashed Beemer and hes not gonna get anything out of it except higher insurance premiums!! Council estate scummer!
Probably our taxes paying his dole to buy the Beemer!

Jack
22-03-06, 12:19 AM
Un f**kin lucky mate!! Mashed Beemer and hes not gonna get anything out of it except higher insurance premiums!!
Surely if both BMW and the police found nowt wrong with the car then he'll get nicked for dangerous driving or suchlike? As there's no evidence to back up his claim that the car was at fault...?

Donova
24-03-06, 06:39 PM
Take some proving I suppose, Did he get clocked or was that his excuse when he lost it on the island?

Donova
24-03-06, 06:48 PM
Just read a bit more,he must have been clocked as the law could,nt keep pacelol lol

Rach
25-03-06, 06:19 PM
Surely if both BMW and the police found nowt wrong with the car then he'll get nicked for dangerous driving or suchlike? As there's no evidence to back up his claim that the car was at fault...?

they're investigating it further at the moment...

as said before both the police and BMW inspected the car... the ignition, gearbox, accelerator and all electrics were found to be working as they should, as was the rest of the car. (we got a bulletin sent round work explaining it all)

so screw the stupid guy... hope he gets fined a whole lotta money, and jail would be good too :D

Welsh Dan
27-03-06, 10:35 AM
Deport him.

Crazy Ry Ry
27-03-06, 02:30 PM
You sure its not eminem ?
Doing the elvis burger thing ???

Lozzie C
27-03-06, 04:09 PM
It's got something to do with alzheimer's disease I've been told.
There wasn't anything wrong with the car.
It's happened before with lorries as well.

Lee
27-03-06, 05:32 PM
too much peroxide's gonna take its tole in the end lol

Simes
03-04-06, 02:56 PM
I just bothered to listen to the audio..

( i read about it on another news site earlier http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13513174,00.html... se what i mean, looks a bit of a silly billy to me)

..and even the racing driver said that with the ignition turned off the steering would effectively lock! What planet is she on??

as mentioned it was a woman racing driver lol what a load of balls have you ever heard such nonsense a woman behind the wheel is one thing but a woman behind the wheel on a race track = disaster lol

im not sexist but if women have eyes in the back of their head, why the **** cant they reverse park lol

Lee
03-04-06, 03:17 PM
Vicky B Henderson was a racing driver...

Yhink ill let her off lol

jbowman
09-04-06, 10:57 PM
Watched the British Touring Car first rounds today and Vicky B Henderson looked pretty sexy.