PDA

View Full Version : alloy refurb tips .....

sickrabbit
11-03-06, 03:02 PM
My roor old fox alloys have seen better days , therefore ( on a serious budget here ) has anyone re-sprayed their wheels and what did you use for paint ? I,d love to have em powder coated in white , but the bank will not suffice the funds....
Is it possible to just use acid etch , prime , then blat em myself using tinnies ?? I wonder weather the paint would be auto or hammerite smooth for a tough durable finish. Probably have to go silver as like the original finish.
As for the kerbing dents , well , after filing em flat the rest,ll just have to stay.

Anyone ??

jbowman
11-03-06, 03:35 PM
I bought a set of Team Dynamic Phantoms for ?250 about two years ago, the spokes had been scratched so I just sanded them down and masked the wheels up and used Hammerite spray - Sold them last month for ?400.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/585000-585999/585696_26_full.jpg

Adam
11-03-06, 03:37 PM
Yep.
You can just use normal primer and halfords spray cans to do them.

Welsh Dan
11-03-06, 03:38 PM
If you're going to be filing kerb dents, you should fill them aswell. If you do a good job there's no reason they can't look mint.

sickrabbit
11-03-06, 03:39 PM
Right as soon as it gets warmer .....or easter time ish ( time off ) out comes the paint ...
i fear it,ll be a pain of a job , those fox evos have many spokes.....

jbowman
11-03-06, 07:08 PM
Its just gonna take time and patience with all those spokes, but it will be worth the while once they are on the car gleaming in the sun for the summer!!

Lee
11-03-06, 09:27 PM
be sure to give them a good few coats of clear when youve finished just to add to the durability, as wheels are uber vulnerable to scrapes and chips!

ade
11-03-06, 10:38 PM
I stuck a thread in styling on refurbing alloys a while ago

Check out www.nova-land.com (http://www.novaland.com) for the guide I wrote...

sickrabbit
12-03-06, 03:50 PM
nice one ade ......looks like it,ll be silver hammerite come the warmer weather.....cheers.

SRlew
12-03-06, 08:40 PM
right you'v made me want to get off my a**e and get doing my cav gsi wheels.

the only bit i hate is sanding the edges and in the corners cause it gives you one hell of a for thumb! done a couple of set's now and none of them have been mine.

lew

bump
13-03-06, 12:46 PM
the only bit i hate is sanding the edges and in the corners cause it gives you one hell of a for thumb!

Would something like a dremmel be useful for that?

Bump