PDA

View Full Version : 1600sv Tuning

itsallnova
11-03-06, 12:31 AM
My nova has a low mileage 1.6 SV engine in it. Its okay except for the carb. the auto choke stays on and im only managing about 60-80 miles from a tenner of fuel (maybe the carb needs setting up again)

But i will have a bit of money to spend in the next few weeks and i was thinking of getting:

Weber 32/34 carb with the manual choke + K+N filter
a performance exhaust manifold

What BHP would i be looking at, im guessing around 95BHP or is that a little optimistic? Could anyone who has fitted this carb give me some info on what ill need and how they sorted the manual choke out?
also what manifold would you guys recommend?

Cheers :thumb:

Stuart
11-03-06, 07:59 AM
in all fairness you'd be better off getting a 1.6 gte/gsi engine... it will cost about the same as your carb + K+N and exhaust, plus it will be a definate 100bhp and if driven sensibly can return a fairly decent mpg... plus its a really good base for modding later on. where as the 1.6 sv you have is a bit of a lost cause in many respects.

SuperNova!
11-03-06, 11:14 AM
Dont worry mate when I asked the same question everyone just says change it for a gte/gsi engine although I prefer carb and want a 1600 so I also have a 1600sv,

The mpg doesnt seem all that bad realy if I was getting 80 miles on a tenner I would be happy,

When I put my engine in it was smokey but I fitted a janspeed 4 branch and had it rolling road tuned and achieved 95bhp with the print out to prove.

Since then I have changed the valve stem rubbers and piston rings not smoking at all now but I havent had it on a RR but now its not burning 2 litres of oil per tank of petrol I would think it would be nearer the 100ish mark.

I have got a K&N and find with it fitted I do get more top end power but I do suffer badly on the juice front.

ATM I am going to stick like this try fitting a 4 branch and getting it roling road tuned.

SuperNova!
11-03-06, 11:19 AM
Forgot to mention on my carb (pierburg 2e3), I dont even have the choke connected and now I am thinking about it I am going to take the buterfly out after breakfast as its impeding my airflow.

In the morning I pump the throttle then It starts first time even when its cold but I have to hold the revs at about 1.5k for a couple of minutes before I try to go otherwise its a bit jumpy bit still drives fine,

Big up the 1600sv tuning :thumb:

Stuart
11-03-06, 11:32 AM
lol. fair enough, but if you had put that effort and cash into a 16se then you'd have something along the lines of 120+bhp with the same fuel efficiency.. its the head that is the BIG problem.

SuperNova!
11-03-06, 11:42 AM
lol

Whats up with the head then is it worth replacing it with a different one?

What gearbox is on your 16sv mate mine a a 4spd!

Stuart
11-03-06, 11:49 AM
its got a crappy square port one like that on a 1.4 (but i belive its got bigger valves..... if you put the 1.6 mpi head on you wont be able to get a single carb manifold... so perfect excuse for T40's lol

itsallnova
11-03-06, 12:29 PM
ive got a 5 speed gearbox with a 4 speed gearknob, stealthy lol.
Well i may be able to get a 32/34 carb cheap, only thing is that its from a golf, so where would i get the adapter for a vauxhall?
Just need to keep a look out for a 4 branchm and possibly a better cam

SuperNova!
11-03-06, 12:47 PM
I wouldnt go down the cam road if I were you too much hasstle, You should be able to get an adapter plate off ebay I just sold my carb on there 32 34 with an adapter plate you will need to get it rolling roaded if you put the carb on and remember to find out if the carb is jetted for a 1600 engine

itsallnova
11-03-06, 12:57 PM
will do, how much did your carb sell for and why did you sell it? and could you give me any info on jet sizes?

Dan
11-03-06, 01:19 PM
print outs to prove mean diddly lol, rolling road figures are a rough guide and not to be taken as gospel as like many others i have seen a variation of 25bhp just using different rolling roads.

explain your reasons for not going the cam route supernova as i'd be interested in your views lol

Adam
11-03-06, 03:43 PM
its got a crappy square port one like that on a 1.4 (but i belive its got bigger valves..... if you put the 1.6 mpi head on you wont be able to get a single carb manifold... so perfect excuse for T40's lol
You can have a fiddle with a 1300SR inlet, and some chemical metal filler :thumb:
to match the inlet to the round port head.

A cam in the engine will probably give you the best gains you can get.
When i swapped my std 1.2 cam for a GTe one, it made a big difference, and thats a std GM cam.

I'd agree with everyone else and say your better with a GTE/GSi engine, more power, for same tax etc. And you know it will start in the cold mornings :thumb:

SuperNova!
11-03-06, 04:37 PM
Very amusing Dan, and some great input into the thread by an administrator.

Dan
11-03-06, 05:02 PM
amusing? i asked you to justify your comments regarding why cams are a bad idea.

SuperNova!
11-03-06, 05:19 PM
Because tbh if he was going to go down the route of spending large amounts of money on a cam kit etc for the sv engine he may as well buy a gte/gsi engine to give better gains. To lightly tune cheaply the sv engine is worthwhile but if more serious tuning was in mind a more powerful engine to start would be better.

Yeah I know the pro's and cons of the RR printouts but the car is making good power and it has not cost me much.

Dan
11-03-06, 05:35 PM
your last comment is true, but going by your on attitude why spend anything on the sv engine when the gte delivers the same if not a touch better results for the same money and better mpg?

If we are talking major small budget then gearing and weightloss would give the more significant gains, using the f13cr gearbox with a crown wheel and pinion gear which i found from an sr f10 box = 4.18 (generally, as vaux did mix and match).

fuel economy shouldnt be an issue, i average 230 miles to a tank on mine which includes a few blats. Even if it was only 140 it wouldnt matter as economy shouldnt be an issue when tinkering as they dont go hand in hand.

Stuart
11-03-06, 09:06 PM
ive not seen the SV properly but if its built in the same way that all the small bloack 8V enginse are (bar the ohv ones) then the am kit is transferrable between the SV and ALL 8v small blocks....

Adam
12-03-06, 12:00 AM
Afaik, its a 1.4SR engine, but 1600cc.

Stuart
12-03-06, 09:12 AM
there you go then, all cams for the small block 8V will fit and can be transferred to others if you change