PDA

View Full Version : spi to carb

LUV2XLR8
09-03-06, 11:24 PM
how much work is it to chuck a 1.4 carbed engine into my spi nova? would the loom and fuel lines have to be chnged?:confused:

Adam
09-03-06, 11:39 PM
Remove SPi loom/ecu etc..
Would need the 1.4SR coil/module loom.
You could fit a SR carb tank and use the mechanical pump.
Or wire up the SPi pump and feed that to a pressure regulator.

SuperNova!
11-03-06, 04:56 PM
Take your spi engine out put the 1.4 carb engine in and then just use your spi coil and dizzy, take the pump out of your tank and replace the pump with some 8mm fuel hose and use the mechanical pump.

Job done

mikey14sr
11-03-06, 06:38 PM
Just as long live says, what size spi do you have, as if its a 1.4 you'll only have to change the head instead of the whole engine.

Adam
11-03-06, 06:41 PM
If its a 1400 SPI, you will only have to cam carrier for the mech fuel pump.
You can keep the SPi head, etc etc.
As its the same.

LUV2XLR8
12-03-06, 11:55 AM
ok, well im getting my mates 1.4 carb from his ex- road rally nova. Unfortunatly that nova has gona to the scrap yard now. the engine is fast, think its about 90 100 bhp mark, it wooped a 1.9 gti 205, so i think i'll just chuck the whole engine in.
If i could shall i change the tank?

Adam
12-03-06, 03:27 PM
it wooped a 1.9 gti 205
Hmm, they are about 130bhp and weigh about the same as a nova.

You could just fit the carb inlet and the carb, with the dizzy and coil/module.

No need swap the whole engine.

LUV2XLR8
12-03-06, 05:13 PM
the 1.4spi is history, its in my other nova, so if i get the whole engine in all i need to do is what super nova said....

put the 1.4 carb engine in and then just use your spi coil and dizzy, take the pump out of your tank and replace the pump with some 8mm fuel hose and use the mechanical pump.

where about is the pump in the tank? is it through that bung under the back seats or is it that think by the O/S/R wheel arch?

Adam
12-03-06, 08:24 PM
Ye, its under the bung, inside the tank.
How can you replace the pump with a piece of hose? It fits in a hole in the tank? So remove the pump and you have the hole left it the tank.
SPi coil and dizzy is no good for a 1.4 carb engine, as it has no centrifugal advance. As SPI ecu takes care of that.
It will run, but muhc better with a proper 1.4sr coil and dizzy.

LUV2XLR8
13-03-06, 10:53 AM
confused now, i'll get all the stuff that comes with the carbd engine, prehaps its the other pump thing by the inlet pipe to the tank? :S

Adam
13-03-06, 03:14 PM
Carb fuel pump is bolted to the cam carrier and runs off the cam.
Injection engines either have a external pump near the tank, or SPI has a in-tank pump.

Fit everything you get with the engine, coil, dizzy etc etc.
You could use a carb fuel tank, and fuel pump.

Or a SPI tank and pump with a regulator

LUV2XLR8
13-03-06, 05:39 PM
yea, i'll take all this info and see what i can do, theres always a way around things! :D
cheers for the help fellas