PDA

View Full Version : Interior colouring options......

Anonymous
03-12-01, 09:03 PM
I am going to install a MK2 dash into my MK1 Nova, and would prefer it if it was black (instead of grey). Before I put the dash in, I would like to make it black - can anyone tell me the best way to do this? i.e. undercoat, primer, spray it, paint it, etc.

Cheers
Pickle

Anonymous
03-12-01, 09:34 PM
i went to halfords and bought there own brand vinyl dye spray. its a bit pricey and hard to get right. its probably cheaper to buy a gsi dash, although they do other colours which is good. no need for undercoat or laquer, just the can of black dye, make sure the dash is very very clean or the stuff wont work

Anonymous
04-12-01, 01:15 AM
GSi dashboards come in black as standard, save yourself the bother of spraying a grey cos you'll never get the factory finish look!

Anonymous
04-12-01, 11:13 AM
GSI dash's are hard to get hold of, plus I already have the majority of a grey mk2 dash.

sy, does that mean that you have sprayed your dash? How did it come out? Did it look like you had sprayed it, or did it look natural?

Pickle

Anonymous
04-12-01, 12:47 PM
looks absolutly mint. i practised on the glove box first. i did that ok,but take your
time when i did the main bit i rushed it a bit. i didnt clean the top very well near the air vents, the dye didnt work and peeled off so i had to redo some of the dash, it looks really good and the vinyl is still soft so it wont crack. i dont know how durable it is as i havent fitted it yet, once id done i used t-cut to remove the dust and crap id managed to stick to it then i cleaned it with warm water. its been in my garage the last 4 weeks and looks fine. i might spray the whole interior with it i was that impressed.

its best to do it somewhere warm and dry for best results

Anonymous
04-12-01, 03:20 PM
That sounds cool, will probably pop into Halfords this week and see what sprays they have got ;). Did you take all of the switches and things off the dash before you sprayed it?

Cheers for the advice
Pickle :D

Anonymous
04-12-01, 03:52 PM
yes i stripped the whole thing down to just the dash shell. i am putting it in a mk1 so i took it all apart to clean it up and sort everything out, i would take it all apart if i were you. just makes it loads easier

Anonymous
04-12-01, 05:36 PM
i used humbrol paint. It really thick and gives a great finish after to coats.

Never go Novathetop

Anonymous
04-12-01, 06:12 PM
Humbrol? Doesn't that come in really small pots, and is used to paint plastic models? Don't you get brush marks all over it when you paint it onto the dash. I think that the spraying option sounds as though it will give a more consistent covering, without any brush strokes or streaks.

Anonymous
04-12-01, 11:09 PM
You can get spray Humbrol paint, I?ve not used it but have seen it in the shops Think you would have to use plastic primmer first if you was to use it.

web site: www.perpetualbliss.net
E mail: v5uk@perpetualbliss.net

Anonymous
04-12-01, 11:34 PM
Most of the Humbrol paint (if not all of it) is designed specifically for use on plastics, so there's no priming required.

I used it on my dash in my old A-reg Nova.....it looked shocking :O
Fine on plastic models, but not that great on a cars dash.....here's a pic of the awfulness!:

http;//www.novabug.co.uk/FeatureCars/AReg3.html

I suppose it might have looked ok though if it wasn't brown and cream....lol!
Good old cream interior hey.....you don't see those as standard on the newer Novas!

The Humbrol paint is ok-ish to use on a MKI dash, but not on the soft, flexible MKII type...best go for the Vinyl Dye as suggested by sy.

Anonymous
05-12-01, 02:11 PM
Think that I will just give it a spray with some vinyl dye then.

Cheers guys, you lot have been a great help.
Pickle ;)

Anonymous
05-12-01, 06:53 PM
at work they use a plastic paint which you apply with a damp sponge and it will cover any colour you want it comes in grey and black and you will not tell the difference i used some on my door handles they were red now a deep grey the make of the paint is wurth a quick search will track it down by the way this stuff is used on brand new cars to repair the nicks and scratches they apply it to all the dash

Anonymous
05-12-01, 07:28 PM
have a scout through these pics the door pods are coated with the stuff i mentioned
http://uk.briefcase.yahoo.com/kf139

Anonymous
05-12-01, 11:27 PM
your interior looks cool, who did the retrim. is it just the centre sections that have been replaced. the door pods look good too, what type of plastics does that wurth stuff dye, i may be interested as it altered your door handles (where did you get the pods from)

Anonymous
06-12-01, 02:16 PM
The blue retrim on the seats is lurvley! :D Have you got any more information on the dye that you used, like where you can buy it from?

Pickle

Anonymous
07-12-01, 07:09 PM
not sure where you by the paint from it is not a dye it actually covers the plastic with a thin layer of paint and allows the grain to show through as for the retrim i did it myself 30 quid all in just the centre on the front but the whole back seats had to be done easy to do took me about 10 hours all together the pods also home made 6.5 inch mini subs finished with the same paint dont know where to get it as i get the stuff from work