PDA

View Full Version : Boot lid pin switch

Adam
07-03-06, 12:11 AM
Which novas had a boot lid pin switch and boot light?

Sr/Gte/GSI?

Anyone got any pics of where about on the boot the switch is mounted, im attempting to fit a pin switch to the boot lid for my alarm :thumb:
I dont want to drill a hole and then find the boot wont shut because the switch is in the the wrong position.

projectcoshanova
07-03-06, 06:58 AM
:thumb: i know what your on about its the pin that sets off the larm if the boots open yeh thats about roughly 2 inches or less near the right side as if u face the boot hope this helps ill even try n get down to the car n measure it up for ya :cool:

projectcoshanova
07-03-06, 06:59 AM
p.s i own a sr

Adam
07-03-06, 02:30 PM
Ok mate, thanks.
Have you got any pics of where about it is, i dont need measurements.
Just a rough idea of where they are standard.

projectcoshanova
07-03-06, 02:41 PM
:( havent got boot open pics no but its raining at mo heavily so will try later

mikey14sr
07-03-06, 03:12 PM
On SR's the boot light switch is operated by the gas strut, should be easy to fit if you can get one.

Adam
07-03-06, 03:13 PM
Oo right.
So if i get the strut off a SR, it has a pin switch circuit that i could use to trigger my alarm.

mikey14sr
07-03-06, 03:19 PM
It's not part of the strut, it is held onto the body by the strut pivot bolt though, so get a mate to hold the hatch up!!

Adam
07-03-06, 03:30 PM
It's not part of the strut, it is held onto the body by the strut pivot bolt though, so get a mate to hold the hatch up!!
Ah right.
So i need to get one off a SR boot, and then just fit it on my strut.
Any pics of the switch in question. :thumb:

mikey14sr
07-03-06, 03:44 PM
unfortunately i have no pics, both my phone and camera took a battering lately:mad:

Adam
07-03-06, 03:53 PM
Ok mate, no probs.
Anyone else got a pic?

I might have what i need lying around somewhere in a box of spares.

Ste L
09-03-06, 12:52 PM
basically adz, you got a switch on your bodywork, yours should have one, if its got the boot light,

the way that works if the boot strut, pushes thr switch when the boot is closed, no need for a new boot or anything like that

to fit the the pin for the alarm, just look around the body where the boot closed, you should be able to find a suitable spot for it

mikey14sr
09-03-06, 01:14 PM
Sorry didn't notice it was for an alarm, as said, if you have the boot light and switch the easiest way to connect the alarm to it is to connect the alarm wire to the grey/green wire that feeds the bulb.

Adam
09-03-06, 03:18 PM
I dont have a boot light.
I have the switch off a SR now, just need to fit it and wire it to the alarm.

Im hoping the wiring for the switch is already in the loom near the rear clusters.

The Simps
09-03-06, 03:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Interior/P3180028.jpg

Top left of the pic is the switch, just below the strut.

I "think" what happens is that when the lid comes down the strut pushes in the switch turning off the light.

Simps.

Adam
09-03-06, 03:22 PM
Ahh, cheers Simps.
Thats the kind of pic i needed.
Yep, i have that switch now, just need to fit it.

Rahh, i also want the covers that cover the pillars. Lol. Bloody nova Spin. Comes with nothing.

The Simps
09-03-06, 03:29 PM
Rahh, i also want the covers that cover the pillars. Lol. Bloody nova Spin. Comes with nothing.

I suppose you need the ones that fit with the switch!! I'm not going to tell you this but I think I threw a pair out last weekend! You're more than welcome to come to norfolk and root thru the bins at our dump tho.

Simps.
:thumb:

Ste L
09-03-06, 03:36 PM

i might have some fella, if i can find them you can have them

Adam
09-03-06, 03:41 PM
I'm not going to tell you this but I think I threw a pair out last weekend! You're more than welcome to come to norfolk and root thru the bins at our dump tho.

Simps.
:thumb:
You just did tell me !! lollol
Typical.

Ste, if you can find a spare pair, chuck them my way :):thumb:

Adam
10-03-06, 02:54 PM
Got the switch today.
Im going to hook it up to a bootlight i nicked off my old car, and splice the alarm pin switch wire into the earth wire on the switch.
Hopefully then i'll have a boot light, and the alarm will go off with the switch closed.
Just need find a perm 12v around the rear cluster, hmm.
Looking at haynes the original boot light is wired into the hazard 12v supply, but i cba run a wire all the way up to the front of the car lol.

Ste L
10-03-06, 03:04 PM
it sould already have the wire there, i would of though

Adam
10-03-06, 03:09 PM
I hope so, i'll have a look in a bit.
If not i think i will have to run a wire through the car to the back of the dash.

As it wont work too well spliced into something like the brake light wire, lol it would just flash on when i press the brake pedal,Lol.

mikey14sr
10-03-06, 04:21 PM
cant remember what color the wires are but they should be there, taped to the main loom behind the trim panel.

Jack
10-03-06, 04:49 PM
I'm sure my old Mk2 Merit boot light used to come on when the boot opened...

Adam
10-03-06, 06:43 PM
I'm sure my old Mk2 Merit boot light used to come on when the boot opened...
:confused:yeah, thats what it should do?

Lol

Mikey-Looking at haynes, the light has one wire that is perm 12v, and the others a grey wire to the pin switch which then earths to the body.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Adam
11-03-06, 03:45 PM
Sorted it today.
Got a light, and a negative input to the alarm.
Works fine.
The wires were taped up with the rear cluster loom :)

Nearly did myself an injury, didn't realised how heavy a boot lid was until i undid the strut mounting :roll:lol
And nearly foooked the bolt thread as its tricky to get the bolt back in.

Ste L
11-03-06, 03:53 PM
Nearly did myself an injury, didn't realised how heavy a boot lid was until i undid the strut mounting :roll:lol

i've dropped on my head a few time, dont half hurt, :tard: lol

Adam
11-03-06, 04:09 PM
i've dropped on my head a few time, dont half hurt, :tard: lol
Lol, ye, i was expecting see a pool of blood forming on the floor afteri realised what had happened lol