PDA

View Full Version : How much did your mods affect your premium?

Welsh Dan
05-03-06, 10:22 PM
Currently I'm being quoted ?600 fully comp for when i eventually get my nova. (1.2 diamond, see thread in GD)

I'm planning to upgrade the brakes (tyres first of course), then probably lower it, and do something simple to improve the responsiveness of the engine a bit (probably an aftermarket air filter, and allthough i dont really know what im talking about, twin weber 40 carbs.

Can anyone give me a ball park as to how much my premium would increase? and which insurers are good for modified cars?

Jack
06-03-06, 11:17 PM
Adrian Flux are probably your best bet. Can't remember if HIC still cover mods?

Also, depending on your age, Sky and Admiral/Elephant cover a few mods.

Best option really is to keep the engine well serviced and at regular intervals. As for mods, if you're thinking of fitting a bolt on filter, either fit a warm air tube or wait til the summer as they can cause carb icing in cold weather. A full exhaust (manifold included) would help things a little. You could replace the carb with a weber 32/34; or replace with T40s which would produce more power, but need more work and cost a fair penny on insurance.

Don't forget an alarm and immobiliser can help reduce your premium, even DIY ones can sometimes provide small savings. Thatcham approved pro-fitted ones are ideal but more expensive; and trackers can give big savings but cost a lot.

Have a look on Elephant, their online system allows you to add up to 3 (I think) mods. Don't forget to add a second, more experienced driver ;)

Welsh Dan
07-03-06, 12:27 AM
Thanks.

So adding mum with her billion years no claims and clean license will help? :)

Its got a laserline alarm and immobiliser on it right now, but the internal sensors kept going off, so its now basically an immobiliser.

Its going to be around the warm weather when I take ownership anyway, pop the standard filter back on for winter then?

Edit: Elephant online reckon around ?850 with "other cosmetic changes", "filters" "lowered <50mm" and whatever else I ticked. Adding mum took it down to ?687.

Thanks Razorjack:thumb:

Jack
08-03-06, 06:45 PM
Edit: Elephant online reckon around ?850 with "other cosmetic changes", "filters" "lowered <50mm" and whatever else I ticked. Adding mum took it down to ?687.

Thanks Razorjack:thumb:
Result :D

Adding my sister saved me ?200 on my GT4 when I was with Admiral (who own Elephant) lol