PDA

View Full Version : Air con in a Nova

craig green
05-03-06, 09:18 PM
After returning from Billing this year & being sweat roasted in the car on the way back, I vowed to install air con in my Nova.

Anyone know about the air con in a Corsa B? And does anyone think its viable??

I cant think of anything 'cooler' to have wired into the rear heated window switch.

1st prob is having another rad upfront, aswell as my intercooler..........

Stuart
05-03-06, 09:29 PM
cant see why not. CP makes his own AC systems for his tractors so it might be worth bending his ear.

I suppose the corsa B stuff would be logical but from what i remember its not the most sensible of pipe routes etc and you'd be better off with a totally new designed system. eg one where you dont need to degas the system for a head gasket change and so on

craig green
05-03-06, 09:35 PM
Nice reply. Degass for head swap! WTF?

Guess it would make sense to use the Corsa heater matrix. I think the AC runs via a matrix into the cabin dosent it? Unless the whole system weighs a bomb I'd be happy if it just blew through the upper central dash vents on the facelifted dash.

Oh I can imagine it now!!

General Baxter
05-03-06, 09:37 PM
erm open a window?

Stuart
05-03-06, 09:40 PM
one of the AC lines runs over a part of the engine that needs to be removed if you do work on the Head.... so it will need degassing and regassing to do the job lol. Good Ole gm :beer: lol

craig green
05-03-06, 09:41 PM
erm open a window?

Comedian!! Mate, remeber the 80 degree days in the summer when you drive almost naked & the sweat just runs off you like water & yer missus sat next to ya is moaning bout the heat & yer fed up of buying bottled water from service stations at 2 quid a throw??

I just want the trickest Nova aswell.:thumb:

craig green
05-03-06, 09:43 PM
one of the AC lines runs over a part of the engine that needs to be removed if you do work on the Head.... so it will need degassing and regassing to do the job lol. Good Ole gm :beer: lol

Ah not as bad as I expected.

GM stopped being user friendly approximately around the time The Nova was discontinued! lol

For the sake of another 6" of hose, they could have routed it round the engine.

Stuart
05-03-06, 09:45 PM
ahh but that 6" of hose would have cost $5 or something and thats too much cost on a car that they can haul back in labour ;)

General Baxter
05-03-06, 09:59 PM
Comedian!! Mate, remeber the 80 degree days in the summer

nova cabro lol

burgo
05-03-06, 10:06 PM
nova's in spain came with the option of air-con, what id recommend though is that daewoo nexia's come with air-con and they are mk2 astras and i recon the system could be bodged onto a nova rather easily

dannyb
05-03-06, 11:58 PM
Does air con have the effect of making the engine less efficient, thus less power? It would be mint as **** though to see it become reality especially if you were queueing during one of those 2 times a year hot days.

mikey14sr
06-03-06, 04:22 PM
Why not check out some of the kit-car part suppliers? I'm sure one of them does an air-con kit, oh here it is http://www.nfauto.co.uk/acheat.htm

Welsh Dan
06-03-06, 04:50 PM
Does air con have the effect of making the engine less efficient, thus less power? It would be mint as **** though to see it become reality especially if you were queueing during one of those 2 times a year hot days.

It can draw a lot of current, when its off, there's no change, when its on, depending how high its on, it'll increase your fuel consumption and slow your acceleration a bit.

Stuart
06-03-06, 05:24 PM
slow it a lot. the new tranists aircon saps 35NM of torque to run it lol.

NFAuto get a big thumbs up from me for some parts i purchased a year ago.. good suppler

Jack
06-03-06, 07:02 PM
lol yeah AC does pull a lot of power.

Turn it on in mine and you feel the car slow down; in the summer on the runs back down the M5 from Cheltenham I used to turn it off and feel the car lurch forward

craig green
07-03-06, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help guys. That kit is a promising idea.

Its more of a daft pipe dream at the moment. Stirs the thought process though.