PDA

View Full Version : project retro

rednova
05-03-06, 11:42 AM
late last year i was kindly given a k plate sxi, no mot etc no bumpers just a half solid shell, the plans started flicking through my mind (already have another project on the go aswell!) first thought was clean smooth gsi rep but there 10 a penny these days and with so many mk1's getting facelifted i decided to retro-fy my mk2!!:) oh and i made a small bet with a mate that i could get it all done for ?500 (foolish but attainable target with well chosen mods)

the bits i have gathered so far are as follows:-

brand new mk1 rear bumper (still in packing)
Early style mk1 sr bumper with grille built in and lower valance
gte rear lip
mk1 wings (no aerial)
mk1 lights with clear indicators
black sr/gsi alloys (soon to be changed for 15" steels)
pipercross cone filter
full gsi interior i had lying around (ive also fitted a 3rd rear headrest properly - no random holes here!lol )
not sure on what tailgate to go for, i have a standard one without spoiler and ones with gsi/gte spoilers, really want my mated d reg one with out the handle but he wont swap (evil git)
60mm lowering kit

colourwise im goin for a respray in brilliant white and satin black / hurricane grey bumpers (trim lines smoothed)

will post pics as soon i get round to taking some!!lol lol

Phil

Lee
05-03-06, 01:59 PM
Look forward to seeing that mate!

Theres a veccy in my local scrappy with a nice set of steelies, if you have trouble finding a set, ill pop down and see if its stil there.

SKoob
05-03-06, 02:09 PM
Sounds ace mate, perfect combo of GSi interior and old skool mk1 SR looks:D :thumb:

rednova
05-03-06, 03:15 PM
a few pics to keep you entertained - the rear seats ( all headrests now corsa ones - same as centre) and front bumper and some mirrors i forgot i had - i think i will be using these and getting rid of wing holes!!!:)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/ballgrapes/MVC-006F.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/ballgrapes/de048953.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/ballgrapes/bb052e28.jpg

Phil

Jules
05-03-06, 03:29 PM
I think I have a early no-handle SR tailgate in my parents garage if you're interested?

Iain
05-03-06, 03:33 PM
Those mirrors look cool. Is the respray included in your ?500 budget?

rednova
05-03-06, 06:15 PM
thanks jules - i may need it but im sure my mate will be persuaded - lol

iainel - yeah the respray is in the budget, but i work in the trade so i'll only have to buy paint etc

Phil

SRlew
05-03-06, 08:03 PM
i'll like to see what it looks like when done.
how much you got on this bet then! lol

and those mirrors look well done

craig green
05-03-06, 08:40 PM
Lovely sounding project. If I was gonna put any cash into my K reg Luxe, I was gonna put early bumpers & lamps on it, would spin people rite out. Agree, too many facelifted, early nova's on the roads. New shape dosent look any better IMo, just an alternative.

Go for early tailgate without the handle, & smooth out the lock too.

jbowman
05-03-06, 09:11 PM
I've not heard of a Mk2 going backwards in time, good luck with it all, Im pretty interested to see how it comes out.
Will the mirrors suit the retro mobile? I had a B reg Mk1 and that came with only one exterior mirror (drivers side) and a blanking plate on the passengerside as standard.

craig green
05-03-06, 09:26 PM
I agree. Not overly keen on them mirrors. Fearless 'shorty' ones or Chevette ones as per really early Nova's. You could always colour code them to update em a bit.

How about de-seaming the roof aswell. That would be trick!! You read it here first kids.

rednova
05-03-06, 11:20 PM
hmmm not sure about the de seaming but I could fancy the early early mirrors - hmmm, i can always change the mirrors at a later date if they look out of place

Phil

Ash
06-03-06, 04:09 PM
you want/need manta 400 mirrors

Give it some rev
06-03-06, 08:35 PM

ooo yes!!!

craig green
06-03-06, 08:43 PM

Budget project !!lol

Not keen on my de-seamed idea then?

Give it some rev
06-03-06, 08:52 PM
Fearless 'shorty' ones or Chevette ones as per really early Nova's. You could always colour code them to update em a bit.

How about de-seaming the roof aswell. That would be trick!! You read it here first kids.

if he's gonna do an early type nova like you said with chevette mirrors then why would he want to de seam the roof for???