PDA

View Full Version : painting gearbox?

octane
05-03-06, 10:56 AM
i found i spare can of silver paint that says its oil and petrol resistant. so i gave my f20 box i light covering to clean it up a bit, but have now noticed that on the back of the tin it states that paint is flammamble and not to exceed 50 degrees.

am getting abit worried now that this is not enough!! how hot do you think the gearbox will get?

Stuart
05-03-06, 11:03 AM
its only flamable when in vapor form (eg when being sprayed) and as for the 50 deg thing thats again for the can itself and not the paint.

jbowman
05-03-06, 11:29 AM
It'll be fine, nothing to worry about.

Adam
05-03-06, 03:03 PM
I doubt the gearbox would get too warm/hot.
Standard spray paint should be fine.
I've got my cam sprocket sprayed in alloy spray, that gets pretty hot after the engines been running and the paint has stayed on fine.

projectcoshanova
07-03-06, 10:07 PM
:thumb: right then having heard what uve done i reckon we should start a list of what u can or what u can not spray inside of the engine bay plus thatll help me with some things as im wanting to spray parts too:cool: thanx

Stuart
07-03-06, 10:09 PM
you can spray pretty much anything in the bay if you want....... is that a good enough list? lol

projectcoshanova
07-03-06, 10:15 PM
lol trust u to answer lol ok fair enough lol

jbowman
07-03-06, 11:41 PM
I agree with Stu - you can paint anything in the engine, even the manifold with VHT spray, but heat wrap is the best option & chroming engine componets will look better than painting - budget depending.

Adam
08-03-06, 12:33 AM
I got overspray whilst spraying my 4-1 manifold on the head, and i cant get the overspray off,Lol.
So it will have no problems going, and staying on engine parts.