PDA

View Full Version : new cam

LUV2XLR8
02-03-06, 11:47 PM
right, got my new cam in atlast, done some mileage on it now as i was told to take it easy for a hundred or so miles. The only thing is it seems to have a flat spot when i put my foot down then picks up shortly after.
is there anything i can do about this? :confused:

Adam
03-03-06, 12:06 AM
What engine is it?

LUV2XLR8
03-03-06, 12:17 PM
its a 1.4 spi and the cam is a piper fast road, think its 268

Adam
03-03-06, 04:04 PM
I have noticed after modding my SPI engine slightly, that it hesitates sometimes, usually when accelerating from about 2k rpm.
I was told it could be something to do with the Map sensor IIRC not reacting quick enough, so theres a slight delay from when you open the throttle to when the engine actually reacts.

Dont think there is anything you can do about it tbh.

You've fitted a very mild cam, so it shouldn't have affected the engine running that much, i think the standard GM cams are around the 270 duration mark.
Does the engine seem any nicer to drive?
To run the cam in, you just have to hold the revs at 2K rpm for a minute or two when you first fit the cam. Was it a new cam?

LUV2XLR8
03-03-06, 05:19 PM
yea cam was new, from piper for the 1.4 i
i did run it in.
it seems to drive more like a modern engine, smother in a way, but still a bit lumpy at junctions.
I could be wrong about the degree, might be more. when i have a passenger in it, it feels like it used to when i was the only person in the car, so there is a bit of improvment. Does the bigger injectors ie. 1.6 inlet etc make mmore differnce to performance and economy?

Adam
03-03-06, 06:03 PM
You can fit a 1.8 throttle body, and 1.6 inlet.
I haven't done that mod to mine, im saving for a better engine.
But it shouldn't effect economy much, if at all.

LUV2XLR8
04-03-06, 11:18 AM
cool, i shall get on that case when i have some spare dosh and see what its like. have many of the lads on here done this mod?