PDA

View Full Version : Wide Arch Info

Muttly
02-03-06, 10:52 AM
Hey all. I looking for some information about the wide arch kit. What I need to know is how much wider is the rear bumper than a standard one? I know the kit comes with one but for what I'm doing that bumper won't be good enough, I'll have to use the original bumper and widen it a bit.
Also would it be worth the extra expenses in getting a kevlar kit rather than a fiberglass one.
Also is there much weight to be saved by using perspex glass all around along with a GRP bonnet.

Muttly
02-03-06, 11:47 AM
Also I for got to ask, if the kit is 50mm wider than standard if I get wheels with a 0 offset and that would eliminate the need for spacers? And yes I know I can get wheels with a 0 offset, no problem there.

Stuart
02-03-06, 12:56 PM
The PROPER wide track setup is a 25mm (i belive) spacer each side of the rear beam between the beam and the stub. Otherwise running "spacers" or gay offset wheels will simply eat bearings every day and look very gay + a chore to get the right bolts etc blah blah blah. And for the front end your looking at about ?600 to do it right with a wide track kit.

imho if your going to the effort of widearching and askinga bout weight savings as if its a race car id set the chassis up right.

Kevlar is good. it can flex etc aslong as the paint will.

Polycarb windows save a fair bit of weight. i cant remember exactly how much off hand but if you find some materials properties and look at the density of polycarb and glass then compare that number your mostly there.

i cant see a grp bonnet being much lighter than its steel counterpart due to the steel needed in the bonnet to keep it riged

Stuart
02-03-06, 12:58 PM
according to my bosch blue book, window glass has the density of 2.4-2.7 g/cm3 and polycarb has the density of 1.2g/cm3... so by that its technically half the weight

Muttly
02-03-06, 02:37 PM
Do you know of any place that sells the track widening kit? I know TAS do it but I haven't been able to find a website or anything for them.

Muttly
02-03-06, 02:55 PM
Also just thinking, are the skirts required for the kit? I'm not really gone on the look of them.