PDA

View Full Version : Considering lowering the nova...

novapearl
02-03-06, 09:30 AM
Just thinking about lowering the nova. But how much? Is as standard with the SR type alloys (3 spoke jobbies).

What is best for looking good but still being bearable for ride quality? A mate has some 40MM lowering springs cheap but is it too much for still being able to have some teeth left after driving over potholes and rough roads.

Any comments?

Oh yeah and how can I post photos on here?

probert_nova
02-03-06, 09:36 AM
yes 40mm is fine, stiff round corners but not too hard you go jumpin potholes.

see here for posting pics

http://www.novaload.net/forum/showpost.php?p=459009&postcount=3

Adam
02-03-06, 11:05 AM
Its the dampers that make the ride soft/harsh, not the springs.
It you get some uprated dampers and 40mm springs, the ride will be qutoe bumpy but handling will be much better.

novapearl
02-03-06, 12:01 PM
Is it worth changing just springs or is it best to do it as a full set of springs and dampers?

tappingt
02-03-06, 12:18 PM
I would say buy the dampers aswell because even though it will be a more bumpy ride around corners it will handle alot better.

craig green
02-03-06, 12:35 PM
The ride quality will also depend a lot on what make of suspension you use. Its hard to recommend stuff but I would say steer well clear of Pi or Bilstein Streetline stuff (black dampers).

The best kit Ive ridden in price wise was a deCarbon/Courtenay clubman set up. Absolutely wicked for the money.

Adam
02-03-06, 03:55 PM
The blistein yellow kit is good too.

Welsh Dan
02-03-06, 03:59 PM
What should you expect to pay for a set of 40mm lowering springs and uprated dampers? Can you fit them yourself or if not, whats a ball park labour fee?

dannyb
02-03-06, 04:30 PM
Is the G-max stuff just Halfrauds s***e or is it actually any good? I am tempted to just stick some GTE shocks and Springs and new bushes on my 1.2 Merit because they are dead cheap, a bit stiffer and it will lower about 25mm. I also have to contend with speed bumps while delivering chinese to ungrateful people on their speed bump ridden private estates...

Iain
02-03-06, 06:45 PM
Is the G-max stuff just Halfrauds s***e or is it actually any good?

I was told that GMax kits are basically "whatever is cheapest to buy at the time" re-branded to GMax. If that's true then the quality could be very good or very bad.

As for the lowering Xen0phobiak, I have lowered my Nova (with 15" alloys) and it's adequate so -40mm on SR alloys would be fine IMO :) I paid ?250 for a Spax kit (springs and shocks) and that feels pretty harsh but handles nicely. :thumb: