PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Top mounts - Do you need to machine bits off for them to fit ?

R1CH
28-02-06, 10:35 PM
Alrite, i bought some Alloy Top Mounts for my Nova off Ebay, i've heard that you've gotta machine them for them to fit properly ?
I'm still waiting to get my shell back from the bodyshop so can't fit them up to check what needs machined, i know a few guys off here bought some, any chance of some pics / measurements of what to machine ?

Cheers, Rich

Dar
01-03-06, 11:26 AM
I have had two sets of alloy top mounts concentric and eccentric. I fitted them both the same way. Even though on one set the circlip is on top and the other its at the bottom.

However because some people are concerned when the circlip is facing up i.e. they are worried that it will pop out, then they machine the ally down so that it fits in. This is only a issue with the eccentric(adjustable) top mounts though. Im sure that the concentric ones are fine.

Rick Draper
01-03-06, 12:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/RickDraper/Novaturboprogress29954.jpg

You can just about make out in that pic where i had machined.

R1CH
01-03-06, 07:06 PM
These are ones i have ...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/DSC00293.jpg

Cheers for the pic Rick but a can't really tell which bit needs machined !? are yours the same mounts ?

Rich

nathan.
01-03-06, 07:09 PM
These are ones i have ...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/DSC00293.jpg

Cheers for the pic Rick but a can't really tell which bit needs machined !? are yours the same mounts ?

Rich

Mine are like them but fit the opposite way round.

R1CH
01-03-06, 07:12 PM
Don't think i'd be happy with all the weight of the car being held by the circlip !!
How long you been running yours ? take it you've had no probs ?

Rich

nathan.
01-03-06, 07:18 PM
Don't think i'd be happy with all the weight of the car being held by the circlip !!
How long you been running yours ? take it you've had no probs ?

Rich

:confused: The weight of the car isn't on the circlip. The circlip is underneath the mount. They must be different to yours. Mine are made by TAS

R1CH
01-03-06, 07:21 PM
The circlip is underneath (in the pic) so if i fit them the other way up the all the weight will be on the circlip.

Rich

nathan.
01-03-06, 07:28 PM
The circlip is underneath (in the pic) so if i fit them the other way up the all the weight will be on the circlip.

Rich

Oh right, so they are different then, my circlips the opposite side to yours. .

Dar
01-03-06, 08:07 PM
Yup, the TAS ones have the circlip in what I guess is the correct place. You have the eccentric ones like mine with the circlip in the top. I just fitted mine with the circlip at the top and have run it like that for the past two years. But like I said earlier people don't like the weight of the car on the circlip.

To make them fit in the position you have them in you need to get the bit thats sticking out turned down and also widen the top of the strut mount to get the full adjustment.

Phil GTE
02-03-06, 12:09 AM
Just looked at items I bought on eBay (from the guy that always has them for sale - assume there the same as yours)

the circlip on mine is at the bottom, therefore the mount it taking the weight (as it should)

So, no issue

Correct, everyone?

The Simps
03-03-06, 12:09 PM
I've got the same problem. Here are mine..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/EccentricTopMount.jpg

I bought mine from Rally Design. The circlip is at the bottom.

Also, do I need new threaded bolts? I noticed rick has used 2 new bolts that come down from the top? There's no bolts supplied in the kit.

Simps.

p.s. don't laugh at my table mats!

R1CH
03-03-06, 06:46 PM
Also, do I need new threaded bolts? I noticed rick has used 2 new bolts that come down from the top? There's no bolts supplied in the kit.

Yeah you'll need to get 4 new M8 (?) bolts to hold the top mounts in place as the origional top mounts had stud coming out of them.

So ... you've gotta machine the bit that sticks up then ? take it it needs reduced in diameter ? by how much, only looks like you'll be able to take 4 - 5mm off ?

Rich

dan16v
04-03-06, 05:02 PM
i also have the rally des ones! going to get them machined next week! yea i think 5mm should be ok:)

R1CH
05-03-06, 12:31 PM
Let me know when you get them done & if there ok.

Cheers, Rich

dan16v
05-03-06, 04:47 PM
will do mate tho my car will prolly never be on the road to find out lol!

dan16v
05-03-06, 04:48 PM
oh and does any one know what 2 holes to use to get a neutral camber?

beavy69
05-03-06, 05:12 PM
Dan

Depends on how much you have lowered your car by as the lower you go the more positive your camber becomes.

GTEs and GSis are already 10mm lower than other novas.

I lowered my 1.3L by 40mm and need to sort the prob as my tires are wearing on the inside. I have some bolts to solve the problem. They have a cam on them and go in the top bolt hole of the lower suspension strut mount. But I am waiting for a geometry machine as unlike the top mounts seen here, there are no increments to measure from.

check with the manufacturer how much movement the increments on your mounts produce and compare this to how much you have lowered by and if you have a GTE/GSi

Hope that helps.

dan16v
05-03-06, 07:31 PM
myne is around 75mm on gazard coilovers, may raise it tho as the drive shafts are at a fair old angle!

The Simps
05-03-06, 08:20 PM
There was a thread on MIG web about this when Rick was asking about setting up his.

Here it is:- http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=249054&highlight=eccentric

Simps.

Lee H
06-03-06, 01:11 PM
Depends on how much you have lowered your car by as the lower you go the more positive your camber becomes.

Negative actually.