PDA

View Full Version : Underseal???

Superluxeplus
28-02-06, 04:37 PM
Hi all, decided i want to have the underside of my car painted white but dont know what the best stuff on the market is to use. The last thing i want is my nova rotting away so any advise as to keeping it solid and looking good would be of great help.Cheers.

Adam
28-02-06, 05:07 PM
I just use Waxoyl, in a big can.
Not much point painting the underside of the car same as the bodywork as it gets flithy within about 5minutes of driving.

studaman21
28-02-06, 06:05 PM
i've done it white with stonechip to refect my neons. i know its chavvy
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/studaman21/DSCF0110.jpg

Superluxeplus
28-02-06, 06:26 PM
You have a valid point 'Long live the nova' but i have only seen wax oil in black. Could i stonechip it and put anything on top of the stonechip?

Give it some rev
28-02-06, 09:24 PM
yeah you can buy clear waxoyl, its more of a creamy colour more than clear.
definatly use waxoyl coz it does'nt crack and hold water like shultz does.

Adam
28-02-06, 11:47 PM
You can overpaint Waxoyl, leaves like a textured finish IIRc.
But you can. As long as its fully hardened and dried before.

ade
01-03-06, 10:26 PM
Waxoyl remails tacky - cant really overpaint it.

If you want to protect the underside then you really need to user a proper sealer like Rockershutz or similar. Usually sprayed on.

You'll need to check the underside for any previously applied underseal thats perished (car comes with factory sealant) - remove the perished stuff and then paint on summut like grey stripe.

Once set just paint over with hamerite - whatever you use needs to be tough but you wont see the underside and unless youre showing the underside its gonna get dirty quick so just slap it on.

Superluxeplus
02-03-06, 05:41 PM
wicked thanks for the advise guys.

projectcoshanova
02-03-06, 06:15 PM
best is to paint over it with sealant sod the reflection what u want reflection for if the lights are only gonna shine on the ground anyway ? ? paint the sealnt in thin strips all the way underneath and ya arches aswell then leave to dry then do it all over again until u get a nice thickish bit of coat underneath and da da u have a proper sealant job good luck its rather murder gettin underneath but i see u have ways to do it so best of luck

Adam
02-03-06, 06:54 PM
If you can get access to a hydraulic lift ramp, then thats the best way to get the chassis sections etc sealed, its really hard to do with the car on the ground, especially if its lowered.
You could try axle stands and car ramps, i tried that, but my bumper was too low and hit the ramp before the wheel,lol.

bump
02-03-06, 06:56 PM
I found the easiest way was to use axel stands and work on the back half then the front. I want a lift!

Superluxeplus
03-03-06, 05:43 PM
Yeah no worries, im a mechanic by trade (Sadly not vauxhall) so i can use a ramp or just have it on axle stands for a few nights in the garage. Cheers for the advise guys, il scrape off some of the old underseal and sand it down to metal to take off the surface rust and paint it with white hammerite then use clear waxoil over the top! :thumb:

projectcoshanova
03-03-06, 09:51 PM
lol hammerite nooooooooooooo i went down to my garage for ya to find out what i use its called tetroseal oh well nevermind if u started i guess all sealing products are good lol

Adam
04-03-06, 12:04 AM
Hammerite is better to use.
As it gives a better finish.

If you use underseal, and theres any rust/water underneath it, it will cause it spread even more quickly than without underseal on it.

Only prob is, hammerite costs a bomb for a big tin.