PDA

View Full Version : set up again?

womble sri
27-02-06, 08:01 PM
i have put my new ashley exhaust on today its a full system with a 4-1 manifold. the car is a 1400 sr with big valve head t40's cam ect the car ran sweet as a nut but now with the exhaust it seems to have totally ****ed the carburation. would this be the case or should i look for a problem with ignition?

mikey14sr
27-02-06, 10:43 PM
do the ports on the manifold match the ones on the head? what difference is there to the running of the engine?

womble sri
27-02-06, 10:46 PM
it feels realy restrictive but it dosent fuel properly the whole time it sort of stutters and missfires the manifold is for and sr and its on an sri head but ithought the ports where the same and that it was just the way the manifolds met up with the rest of the system?

mikey14sr
27-02-06, 10:52 PM
I thought the ports might be different as there are different part no.s for sr's and sri's. But if they are the same it shouldn't have made that much of a difference to the running of the engine, might be worth checking the plugs to see if they can tell you something.

womble sri
27-02-06, 10:59 PM
what do you mean by what the plugs tell me? i think its because sris have a cat. someone said get different plugs or make the gap bigger

Stuart
27-02-06, 11:02 PM
are you still running the cat?

the exhaust ports are identicle across the 1.2-1.6 8V range.... so as you say the only bit that changes is the mating to the system.

Id say yes it will need a tweek on the rollers again since the breathing characteristics have change a fair bit

womble sri
27-02-06, 11:18 PM
yeah but stu its really restrictive it has lost loads of power perhaps you could have a listen?

novatek
28-02-06, 09:29 AM
make sure the ports match up mate because on a carb head the ports are square and on fuel injection they are oval.

As mikey said, it is worth taking off the manifold just to check

Adam
28-02-06, 05:19 PM
All exhaust ports are the same shape on 1.2-1.6 OHC engines, only the inlet ports are different.

What manifold and system did it have before?
A sri system? With cat?

Mikey-The part numbers are different as the SR downpipe finishes straight and the SRI one finishes at an angle. So they are different at the downpipe-system flange.