PDA

View Full Version : no breaks

LUV2XLR8
27-02-06, 03:00 PM
any help, ive put some discs andcallipers from a 2ltr cav on to my nova, tried them yesterday and they didnt work, so i took them apart today recond them new rubbers etc and stillthe pedal hits the floor.
I took it out for a spin and got s**t scared as i live on top of a hill!
any idea whats causing the breaks not to work?
would it be my 1200 master cylynder?
:wall: :eek:

mikey14sr
27-02-06, 03:23 PM
have you bled them properly?

MARTIN KELSON
27-02-06, 03:30 PM
Are they correct way round?
Bleed nipple on the top. If you have left and right wrong way round (bleed nipple on bottom) you cant bleed properly.

Worth a quick look before you go any further.

dunova
27-02-06, 03:35 PM
I would highly suspect the master cylinder, the seals may have flipped.

Adam
27-02-06, 03:50 PM
No doubt it will probably be the calipers on upside down, or you've knackered the master cylinder whilst bleeding the brakes.

LUV2XLR8
27-02-06, 04:05 PM
would the master cylinder be making a sort of blowing noise when i pump the pedle?
coz i can hear something when blowing when i do that :(

LUV2XLR8
27-02-06, 04:06 PM
oh i think the callipers bleed niples are on the bottom, does this mean they are upside down? :S

Adam
27-02-06, 04:11 PM
/\Yup.
You cant bleed them when they are like that, so they will never work correctly.
Swap them around, drivers onto passengers.
Then bleed them, see if thats better.

LUV2XLR8
27-02-06, 04:14 PM
bang on, Im going out now to do so before its dark!
I'll let you all know how i did! thanks again! ( yes i am an ideot)

Philsutton
27-02-06, 06:26 PM
start with the easy stuff, you ddi put back the two copper washers were the break line fixes to the caliper?

LUV2XLR8
27-02-06, 06:33 PM
snorted lads, turned them around and they are pucker, gona have a shot at the hill now :D
thanks again fella's much appriciated :)

jbowman
27-02-06, 08:35 PM
heh heh, glad to hear you got them sorted and it wasnt gonna be a costly modification.

LUV2XLR8
27-02-06, 11:18 PM
upside down breaks, what a laff. Well its back to the tard corner for me :D

SRlew
28-02-06, 09:04 AM
actually mate, you know what you said earlier about you hearing a puffing sort of noise when you press the pedal. what will that be, cause mine does that.

also when my cars been sat at work from 9am - 6pm i start driving home and the brake pedal is just solid! and it obviously wont stop, then after a couple of hardish pumps its fine.

also its got far brake travel. that anoying aswell.

any answers to my probs would be great as iv had them like this since i got the car on the road.

cheers, lew

bump
28-02-06, 02:10 PM
actually mate, you know what you said earlier about you hearing a puffing sort of noise when you press the pedal. what will that be, cause mine does that.
That is the atmosphere side of the servo venting to assist with the braking. Perfectly normal nothing to worry about. See clicky (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm) for more info on this.

also its got far brake travel. that anoying aswell.
behind the pedal there is a nut think that it's about 19mm IIRC, you can adjust this to reduce your pedals travel. Don't go too far or you lock your breaks on. Wind it up see how it is then try it some more till you've got it to your preference really.

cheers

Bump

Welsh Dan
28-02-06, 04:55 PM
Mum's nova had the hissing noise and developed some play in the pedal at one point, one day I pulled up in the driveway and heard a loud pop and lost the servo assist. One/some of the seals had gone, and we were told to replace the servo aswell, it was a really quick job to do, ended up costing less than ?20 for the parts if I remember correctly (new seal(s), servo from scrappie.

bump
28-02-06, 05:02 PM
It can happen, but the general consensus (sp) is that all nova servos hiss. If there hasn't been a change in how it works then chances are it'll just be some adjustment that is needed.

SRlew
28-02-06, 05:29 PM
bumphere, cheers for that mate.

iv got a new servo to fit anyway so that'll be more peace of mind aswell. just carnt get 2 of the lines dissconected.

SRlew
28-02-06, 05:51 PM
just been out and tried this nut thats behind the pedal. but it already wound all the way up.

anything else worth a try?

cheers, lew

Adam
28-02-06, 05:57 PM
What brakes do you have fitted?

SRlew
28-02-06, 06:08 PM
iv fitted 16v ones, and got a GSi servo to fit soon.

Adam
01-03-06, 12:08 AM
My 16v brakes are fine with a 1.2 servo.

SRlew
01-03-06, 07:15 PM
yer mine are good but i have loads of pedal travle so they'll be better when i get that sorted.