PDA

View Full Version : engine choices

novarobbo
24-02-06, 07:44 PM
hi, i have a 1.2 spi nova what engine would be easiest to re-fit.. i obviously want more power so nobody say another 1.2 spi lump.. any idea on the 1.4 spi?? that should be a fairly straight forward engine conversion shouldn't it??

help.. please :thumb:

JAMIEP
24-02-06, 09:32 PM
I wouldnt really bother with a 1.4spi mate, thats what i got it only 60bhp lol.......to go through the hassle of changing it id rather go for a gsi, up to you tho!

jbowman
24-02-06, 09:59 PM
I'd go for a Nova GSi lump or even a newer X16XE 1.6 16v from a Corsa sport - Give you bout 100bhp before mods.
Its lighter than a 2.0 16v but less the hassle of fitting.

novarobbo
24-02-06, 10:57 PM
I'd go for a Nova GSi lump or even a newer X16XE 1.6 16v from a Corsa sport - Give you bout 100bhp before mods.
Its lighter than a 2.0 16v but less the hassle of fitting.

i want something what is going to be fairly easy to fit too

SuperNova!
25-02-06, 12:27 AM
Buy a 1600sv engine from a astra or cav but make sure its small block sv engine,

Ive got one in mine and converted from 1.2spi to the 1600 carb easily enough no wiring hastle, used my existing coil and dizzy and it runs fine ive got a 4branch manifold and had it rolling roaded without k&n and made 95bhp before I changed the rings to stop it burning 5 litres of oil a week so idd imagine its now around the 100 mark.

Its not that bad on juice either when only one choke is open lol

Stuart
25-02-06, 09:08 AM
tbh the SV engines are about as good as the SPI ones lol.... the SV is about 80ish bhp.... and the 1400SR/SRI's are close to that as std.

womble sri
25-02-06, 10:53 AM
defo get a mpi engine even if your going to run it on carbs

SuperNova!
25-02-06, 11:18 AM
I have had a mk1 14sr and a mk2 14sr and m car is a fair bit faster,

Wiring a mpi engine is not easy if you dont know what you are doing and also if the car is going to be used as a main car it would be too awful on petrol with say 40s on it.

Stuart
25-02-06, 12:31 PM
dissagree. MPI wiring is 4-6 wires.... Not hard.

as for "awful fuel comsumption on 40's" load of tosh... if set up right and not ragged all the time they will return better mpg than a 1400sr. obviously with yoru foot burried in the carpet it will do badly but its an efficient burn so tis not wastefull in that sense lol

Adam
25-02-06, 01:34 PM
I would go with MPI everytime, wiring is just colour to colour.
1.4 mpi is the best choice IMO, with a full exhaust, manifold and de-at,shouldn't be far off a GTE engine bhp.
Plus its cheaper to insure and tax.

I would avoid engines with a pierburg carb, 16sv, 14nv etc.
Too much hassel with the choke playing up, and not that much better than the SPi engines.

womble sri
25-02-06, 03:02 PM
I have had a mk1 14sr and a mk2 14sr and m car is a fair bit faster,

Wiring a mpi engine is not easy if you dont know what you are doing and also if the car is going to be used as a main car it would be too awful on petrol with say 40s on it.

its not that bad on fuel as stu stays if you dont boot it everywhere. but its quite hard to resist

NovaB3ast
25-02-06, 05:39 PM
I had an 1800 SRi fitted in a mk2 Nova and it went really well before mods, It keeps the car light and nimble on the bends aswell
I'd really recommend going for the 14SRi though as they are Rev happy and can take some abuse + it feels good passing a 1600 8v saxo and then telling them your only running a 1400 in an Old Nova.

novarobbo
25-02-06, 07:46 PM
i was thinking 1.4 sri motor.. is there any engine mounts what need changing ect ect??

thanks alot everyone

nova~norm
25-02-06, 07:56 PM
i have had 2 nova sri's and would have another any day they r really good engines my 1st one had 130k miles on it and was still going good when i sold it pritty fast both had cams done wich makes a diffrance.i tryed pritty hard to blow up the engine in my 1st one but didnt manage seamed like a good excuse for a ENGINE CONVERSIN AT THE TIME BUT GOT BORED N GAVE UP

Adam
25-02-06, 08:43 PM
i was thinking 1.4 sri motor.. is there any engine mounts what need changing ect ect??

thanks alot everyone
Fit straight in.

Get the engine from a corsa sri 8v or a mk3 astra, as the engine loom will just unplug then.
Whereas if you try and get the engine from a nova sri you will have to undo the whole car loom to seperate the engine loom out.

novarobbo
25-02-06, 10:41 PM
lol feel free to write list for me.. (or just correct mine) :thumb:

i have no idea reallly.. lol...

i take it i'd need the
ecu
engine

feel free to add on the list :D

womble sri
26-02-06, 11:48 AM
yeah defo get sri if you want a cheapish 1400 my one just had decat exhaust and air filter and i could almost keep up with saxo vts also on a very long road with some nice hills i had 132mph out of her obviouslyt nova speedo not accurate nut still right of the clock

SuperNova!
26-02-06, 12:19 PM
I have only had one sri and when I had it I only drove a few miles to the garage where it was stripped dont know if it wasnt running tidy but i wasnt impressed?

I was just giving an easy example of an engine conversion for him saying a 16sv no need to burn me at the stake just because I have one! lol