PDA

View Full Version : God Dam Those Lock Nuts!

db_1.2
22-02-06, 07:21 PM
today i fitted started to fit my new alloys with my nice new tyres but only to my suprise when fitting the last one on the last nut, which was one of those stupid safety ones to make sure no one nicks your alloys, i couldnt get the bugger off! now the last wheels bolts were hard to get off but to make things worse the lock nut thingy to get it off now slips and forces itself out, i tried about half a can of WD40 but still no joy. PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE!!! any ideas anyone? :mad:

Nath
22-02-06, 07:29 PM
lol same on my nova. i carnt get my front wheel off atm as they locking nut key is ****ed lol. time to weld a socket to the nut i think. ive tried everything else lol

Adam
22-02-06, 07:37 PM
Hammer a socket on it.

db_1.2
22-02-06, 07:51 PM
exactly what i thought! none of that tack weldin either cus this fecker wont come off! another idea i had was to see if i could get the drum off but im not really familiar with the nova's drums are they one central hub nut with bearings underneith or is it any different do you know? cheers

dan23
22-02-06, 08:10 PM
hammer a socket on to lock nut might have to use imperial size to get a close fit

or you can buy locking wheel nut breakers

you could weld a short bolt on to it(you will be able to weld fully around the nut in stead of a couple of tacks ) then try with scaff bar

projectcoshanova
22-02-06, 08:15 PM
:thumb: yep one way is to put a socket on it but one size smaller than the original size then try it with a scaffolding pole on the socket handle or maybe do it how my mate done it and get a flat end screwdriver and whack it with a hammer until it turns or moves at least.... hope this helps cheers

db_1.2
22-02-06, 08:19 PM
oh no i think you mis-understood. its the ones with the funny squiggly bits on the inside off the nuts not the pattern on the outside

db_1.2
22-02-06, 08:20 PM
what about one of those gator socket tools? you know the ones im on about! with all the pins on the inside.........that might work only it may not be strong enough for this lil begger!

projectcoshanova
22-02-06, 08:21 PM
ok no problem simple mistake either melt the f**** off or get a lock nut breaker.lol

projectcoshanova
22-02-06, 08:22 PM
ull just end up grinding the little bits inside of that probably

projectcoshanova
22-02-06, 08:23 PM
id personally get agarage to do it cos its better than losing fingers or maybe crackin ya knuckles on the floor trying to undo it

dan23
22-02-06, 09:22 PM
you can still still hammer socket on to it even though it has squgly bit it wont b on that tight i wouldnt have (you just need to make some thing grip it to crack it off )thought you may need to break the edge of with chisel b4 socket will grip i did four like yours in scrappy took about an hour

jammyjoe
22-02-06, 10:21 PM
if you get a deep 17mm socket , hammer it over the locking wheel nut and get a big breaker bar that usualy gets them off.

or

go to your local motorist centre and ask for a locking wheel nut remover tool, just hit that on slightly and undo it with a big breaker bar.

hope this helps

db_1.2
22-02-06, 10:33 PM
thanks for your help everyone its been a gd use, but where can i get a locking wheel nut breaker? and how do they work, also these nuts are quite hard to get to, there on GTE alloys............. thanks again:)

hendrix
23-02-06, 08:24 AM
there the same nuts as what was on the gf's nova and she had gte alloys on, just hammer a 19mm socket over the top and they'll whip right off, would prob be best to use a windy gun like to take them off

dannyb
23-02-06, 09:06 AM
Just dont take the other 3 bolts out, drill the centre of the locker out and drive on it til it breaks.....It doesn't work.

jammyjoe
23-02-06, 01:34 PM
just go to your nearest motorist centre and ask for a locking wheel nut remover socket.
hope this helps:thumb:

MyNovaSr
23-02-06, 07:29 PM
Try getting a 17mm socket, get some small nails (i used 5) put the nails in the end of the socket. Place the socket on the locking wheel nut smack the **** outta it to ensure tight grim. Grab breaker bar and remove nut, if its a bit tight get a hammer and smack the **** outta the breaker bar until the nut comes off.

I did this for 3 of the 4 nuts, the first one i took off took me a day and a **** load of grinding.

remember, when buying a nova check too see if it has the fooking locking wheel nut tool.

Pete.

db_1.2
25-02-06, 06:08 PM
believe it or not none of these worked! no matter how hard i tried so in the end after hours of swearing at it i took the drum off and left it jacked up so now i given up on getting the nut out all i want now is the new drum.....................anyone got one spare? :thumb: